The Long & Short of it: Best in Popular Music

One of my favorite things about the video. Also, that little moment near the end of Micky’s second solo where Davy tries to make eye contact with Mike. That all sums up their playfulness quite well.

2 Likes

Dang, that Monkees track is great.

And @duaneiac and @meshuggen8r, those moments during Mickey’s solos where Peter and Davy just get those grins is the type of thing I love to see. Just a couple of musicians in the middle of a song taking a moment to enjoy what’s happening.

3 Likes

Not easy finding a short song. I have a couple I listen to that are less than 2 minutes, but nothing 1½ minutes or less.

For a long song, my favorite is easily:

Blind Guardian - And Then There was Silence

1 Like

No instruments to play, so they can really be in the moment. So, so good.

1 Like

More short songs, the ones above where under 90 seconds, this one goes 9 seconds over that, but I like it, so I’ll share.

Guided by Voices have several quickies…

at 1:25

at 1:40

Elvis Costello at 1:24

Tom Waits at 1:08

2 Likes

Bite-size Jazz? Don’t mind if I do!

2 Likes

One of my favorite albums in high school. I love every song on it and played that cassette until you could see through the tape. Rush became my favorite band and probably still is today. (R.I.P. Neil.)

3 Likes

But at 3:42 it’s neither here nor there - Bending the rules is one thing, but let’s not disregard them out right, okay?

2 Likes
1 Like

One more for the long category: CCR’s cover of “I Heard It Through The Grapevine”.

3 Likes
1 Like

There was time when jazz was considered “popular” music, so these qualify on that technicality.

(The full 32 minute version of this song is also well worth hearing)

1 Like

To restate it…

So that can be anything from big band to country to rock to jazz to whatever captured and captivated the ears of the world over the decades.

In that case, I’ll just drop this one from John McLaughlin & Shakti right here. I used to listen to my whole catalog on shuffle while I worked—this was a fun one between 3-minute pop songs.

I absolutely LOVE this Van Morrison track

1 Like

Here’s a long one I didn’t see posted yet: Dreams by The Allman Brothers

And for a short song, I like Cat Stevens’ Tea for the Tillerman, though I’ll never be convinced it wasn’t meant to be a longer song.

And just for fun, here’s a great 3 1/2-minute song … that’s 17 minutes long.

1 Like

Stoned version: 17:05
Non-stoned version: 2:52

2 Likes

From the big band era, there’s a reason why this is considered an iconic performance. And that reason is Paul Gonsalves and his 27 choruses of solo.

2 Likes

Whether in the solo piano version heard here or in a full orchestral presentation, this certainly qualifies as “best in” and once qualified as “popular” music.

3 Likes