The "Love" in the MST3K Love Theme

I’ve been a fan of MST3K dating to the early 90s. Ever since then, I asked why is the MS Theme a Love Theme? Why is it called that? Anyone know? Has Joel ever said? Theories? The song feels affectionate. Especially over the end titles. The name raises some thought. What’s yours?

2 Likes

Interesting. If I may paraphrase here a bit, essentially what you are asking us is –

3 Likes

Essentially. The theme isn’t absent feeling in any of its forms. The instrumental in the close is particularly heartfelt or I always felt so. I suppose the ask is… why is it a love theme and is there a reason it’s described as one? I love it regardless. The phrase puzzled me. Which is why I asked.

The “love theme” is the main theme, the one with lyrics. Why it’s called that, you’d have to ask Joel. The closing theme is “Mighty Science Theater”

1 Like

Thanks on the clarification. There were a few facts I simply relaxed on. The Main Theme with Lyrics is so upbeat and irreverent Love Theme is not where my head lands. Was it intended as irony or an in-joke? Only Joel knows for sure. I glanced on Mighty Science Theater constantly in the credits alongside The Love Theme and I naturally assumed The Love Theme was the central melody that emerged in both. Obviously separate names on the varying interpretations and thanks to you The Love Theme is specifically the Theme Song and Mighty Science Theater the somber ending theme where I sense the love the most. Cheers Greengreatlabcoat!

1 Like

In the 70s and 80s, it was not uncommon for a big name musician to write a ballad for a film that got played during a love scene in that film. Some of those songs were very popular, and though they usually had a separate title they would often get subtitled with “Love Theme from X”, and were often better known by that name.

My assumption has always been that Joel was riffing on those songs when he came up with the title.

12 Likes

Best rationale I’ve ever heard. Makes sense to me.

3 Likes

I agree. It synchs with the age of pop culture he most responds to and which inspired him. Kudos Hippy. I believe you nailed it.

I always just assumed it was a reference to the Satellite of Love, which I don’t know why it’s named that.

5 Likes

@TorgoTheWhite Except there is a tradition of declaring particular music as a Love Theme in years past and I associated the name to that not The Satellite of Love. Fascinating thought Torgo. Could be.

1 Like

That’s what happens when a show has a specific opening there and a different specific closing theme (just ask SNL and WKRP. Seasons 4 & 5 of I Dream of Jeannie don’t count because it’s still basically the same tune)

I originally thought the Love Theme was the closer as well. More love-like. But just as I was reading this thread, it dawned on me - Maybe the “love” in “Love Theme” refers to the Satellite of Love. (edit: dawned on TorgoTheWhite as well, apparently!)

The idea of it synching with the age of pop culture of Joel’s (and my) era has merit, too. Love Theme, TV’s Frank…

3 Likes

Nothing really to add to the convo, so just have another Love Theme:

2 Likes

@CMWaters One of the grandest greatest most iconic Love Themes EVER.

1 Like

Joel makes a lot of music references, and just sort of thought Satellite of Love was inspired by the Lou Reed song.

4 Likes

This is confirmed. Also “Rocket Number Nine” is a reference to Sun Ra, which is also a musical “combo” of some sort.

1 Like

Because the Kelp theme from MST3K was stolen by the French, so Joel had Mike Love write a new theme, which, by putting his name on it was more credit than he was getting from The Beach Boys at the time

4 Likes