The Majestic Music Appreciation Thread

Great choices, buuuut, for the purpose of the project, they have to be originals, made for the movie. (For example, “Singin in the Rain” isn’t eligible for the 1952 film, because it was first published and recorded back in 1929). But it is an interesting coincidence that today I started a search through films from France.

Edit - which is why it’s going to take forever - the first pass through is relatively easy, it’s when you start peeling back the onion, that’s where it gets tough. For example, I looked over Renoirs movie “French Cancan”, and hey, there’s Édith Piaf singing Sérénade du Pavé, but now I have to find out if it’s an original, or an old standard, etc (and searches for anything outside US or British productions can be difficult) -edit, edit, a wiki list of her tunes says it was recorded for the film, but… it was also used in an earlier movie, so, not eligible-

2 Likes

When a woman suggests “this could be ‘our’ song,” it’s pretty much time to bail!

3 Likes

This is my Record Store Day haul. Would have purchased more, but I already spent more than I planned.

The Darlene Love record is really good. In particular, she does a great rendition of River Deep, Mountain High.

Listening to the Patti Smith record (actually, a double LP) right now.

5 Likes

My RSD haul…

• Kirk Hammett (Vinyl and CD)

• Sun Records Comp

• Shankar Family

• Jonathan Richman

• Replacements

• Ramones

• Iggy Pop

• Willie Nelson

• Joni Mitchell

• The Cure

• Alice Cooper

• Gojira

• GBH (Not RSD release)

4 Likes

Here’s something I want to tell you guys that’s related to this thread. This is also a ‘yes’ or ‘no’ question. Have y’all ever heard of the Yamanote Line?

1 Like

Nope.

3 Likes

If you never heard of it, then… I dunno on what else to say. If you guys did heard of it before, there’s also something you might not know. The song about it exists on YOU GOTTA QUINTET!!!

2 Likes

I like my sugar with coffee and cream!

3 Likes

For my film-songs project - I have to add that 1969 is proving impossible - and Oscar winner “Raindrops Keep Falling on my Head” isn’t even a personal favorite, I mean, it’s all right, but it’s not going to be my pick.

But look at it, you’ve got Jean (The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie), What Are You Doing the Rest of Your Life? (The Happy End), Come Saturday Morning (The Sterile Cuckoo), and the theme from True Grit. But ahead of those (so far)

On Days Like These (The Italian Job)

Crap, that’s smooth.

Next, this little gem, sung by Morricone favorite, the legendary Edda Dell’Orso. Capriccio from the mostly forgotten film, Check to the Queen

1969 isn’t done, here’s a pretty tune sung by Louis Armstrong from the Bond film, “On Her Majesty’s Secret Service”

and finally, yes, Moon Zero Two is in contention (seriously, I’m not being a smart ass MSTie here)

(And I’m still not done digging through the year)

1 Like

The synths in this sound like something that would be used for an exhibit/ride at 80s era Epcot…

1 Like
1 Like
1 Like

Been craving some Moog today.
All physical versions of this have been out of print for a long time.

3 Likes

Some early Devin Townsend.

1 Like

I find it much easier to connect with music than with other people.

I won’t be the good for nothing
I won’t be the same old feeling
I won’t be the one you turn to
I won’t be the phase you go through

Right in the feels.

1 Like

Am I the only one who thinks Jared Leto should have stuck with 30 Seconds to Mars?

1 Like

This is from a couple of Twin Cities musicians from the mid/late 1970s. I’m a proud owner of this. At the 30 minute mark, you get “History of the Blues.” I definitely can picture Tom Servo performing this. As Dr. Ehrhardt would say, “Enjoy!”

1 Like

I found this performance, apparently a very famous one, by Edda Moser of Mozart’s “Revenge” aria from Queen/Night.

One of the great moments in opera, but I’d never heard this take on it. It’s a good one to keep in one’s inner ear when one is extremely peeved at things, I find.

1 Like
2 Likes
4 Likes