The Majestic Music Appreciation Thread

This song totally ‘slaps’, in the modern parlance. To think, this was picked to be their breakout MTV Buzz Bin single. How could it possibly have failed? :sweat_smile:

I’ll spare this community my soliloquy on the drumbeat in the extended outro of this song. I’ll just say I’ve pondered it at great length over a number of years and it might be the oddest thing I’ve ever heard.

1 Like

On the “topic” of “Baretta’s Theme,” this is the record I learned this tune from. Different tune, of course! :laughing: Kind of anthemic.

But, Billy Preston sells it on the Hammond organ…I think this recording was made when he was like sixteen or seventeen. All those Vee-Jay sides…he does some stuff that people are still catching up to on the Hammond organ. All the reverse glisses, full command of the instrument. Truly. A master at such a young age.

2 Likes

Damn, I was wondering why I was so peeved about this woman keeping this Fathead Newman album. Not especially valuable, in terms of money, but I like it.

Mac on acoustic piano plus Fathead hitting it? It’s a great album.

1 Like

This could go equally in “stuck in head songs,” but since this one USB stick I’m using for in-car commute entertainment yet again…

Yeah, I’m too lazy to swap the USB stick out and it has a bunch of good stuff. Lot of Grant Green, Wes, Sonny Clark, Joe.

This album, by Jimmy McGriff is at the start memory address, I guess.

I used to like wearing headphones to this album in case someone asked, “What are you listening to?”

Correct answer? “Electric funk, what you got?”

And even though I still have the CD (never had the LP, but it would have been worn through number of times I’ve played this CD and now since ripping it to disc…don’t remember what format I ripped it to &c.), I never knew the names of the tunes…in MST3K callback time, from this interreggnum, the track is called “Miss Poopie.”

But I still get off on the double-fisted chordal trills at about 02:28 or so.

What am I listening to?

Huh? You wanna know?

Electric funk.

MF.

1 Like

Blondes Have More Fun takes a lot of abuse as Rod Stewart’s Disco Sellout album. But there’s some good stuff on it too. This title track rocks.

2 Likes

Just rolling around in my head. Bangin’ tune, anyway.

2 Likes

Did you say majestic?

4 Likes

Ha! I just watched that video last night.

Amazing how that parody band made better music than most of the serious bands of the time.

2 Likes

Someone in another thread mentioned Disney’s Robin Hood, (My personal favorite Disney movie.) and it reminded me of a fantastic cover of Not in Nottingham that Mumford and Sons did. Oodelally!

1 Like

This song by the name of War Is Over/eta-Ya from the film: Everything is Illuminated, is possibly the only song from the movie I enjoy. I first heard of the song during high school when I was watching a video of a swallowtail caterpillar pupating, and that’s when the song played. And as of last morning, I found the video (and the song) after years of searching.

1 Like

I think this may be the greatest vocal performance I have ever heard.

1 Like

In honor of me running an inkpen all over a white shirt yesterday and probably spoiling it. I don’t remember if this has profanity in it, but probably.

2 Likes

Since today’s the first day of summer, here’s this remix of The Four Seasons: Summer (Presto) by Vivaldi I first listened to since last year.

1 Like

Happy birthday!

1 Like

It’s too early. It actually has been a year since I joined the forums. You get a “full cake icon” if it’s a birthday. But today, since I joined the forums last year, I get a “piece o’ cake” icon for 24 hours.

2 Likes

Ah, sorry!

2 Likes

Don’t know why, just this one popped into my head. Mac killing it on ap and vx, as usual, and good arrangement.

Hearing it again, I wonder how many “fixes” they had to make on the vocal tracks, including the background vx, because of bleed through into the piano mic or mics. I guess one will never know!

2 Likes

Congratulations to Kate Bush for hitting #1 on the UK singles chart this week with her 37-year-old song, “Running Up That Hill.” Which I listened to the first time around, thank you, yes I am old.

1 Like
1 Like

I still think this is a good starter pop tune for would-be pianists, and perhaps even vocalists who accompany themselves on piano.

Not aware of any transcription of the piano part, but it’s not difficult to figure out by ear, and has enough idiomatic challenges at the keyboard to make it worthwhile, even for more seasoned players.

1 Like