The Majestic Music Appreciation Thread

Here’s your “Summer Song” forecast: warm with a strong chance of ocular precipitation

1 Like

Nice! I must hear all of it! Had no idea this existed (huge Lambert, Hendricks, and Ross fan, and what more can be said about Satchmo!)

Thank you!

1 Like

I been reminiscing of late, and piecing together my life through music. And the people I met in Nashville have been on my mind.

This group, “The What Four” had a song I adored, Shelly Peters (“is the leader of the damned”, loved those lyrics). The singer liked my song Ophelia, which received some radio play in Nashville, and I loved Shelly so much that I stole it, well, I tried to adapt it for a song titled “Mighty Jack” (yes, that Mighty Jack), I never share MJ because, while not an exact match, I still lifted it from the What Four, and it’s just not as good as Shelly.

Another group I adored was in town from Boston, playing a gig with the Juliana Theory and Bleach at the legendary “Exit In”, I went for those bands, but fell in love with the third, Helicopter, Helicopter - I kept in touch with them because they were so cool. And I bought everything they ever released.

Atticus Fault was amazing in concert, as good as the studio version was, it was so much better live. They were a big deal in town while I was there, I remember I took a bunch of demos with me when I went to Seattle, to drop them off around town, radio stations, record stores.

Jetpack, who have since changed their name (why, Jetpack was so much better) - they were the guests when my song Monster made its radio debut, they thought it would make a good Halloween song (like vampires or something)

Walkie Talkie got a lot of radio play for them, saw them live at least once.

And to help keep their music alive - I saw Fair Verona live at The End (a venue I played as well) and have the CD featured at Bandcamp- the band was mostly women, save for the drummer, who played with his back to the audience, his kit was up front, instead of at the back, but it was turned around so you could see him playing, and damn was he good.

1 Like

Thread crossover re: the old defunct Toronto band Max Webster (featuring Kim “Go for a Soda” Mitchell), and how much fun they were.

Club/arena rock with Zappa-flavor, a weird stork man singer/guitarist who wore stripey spandex bodysuits, and an eccentric lyricist who may or may not have been homeless (he also wrote the Tom Sawyer lyrics for Rush with Neil Peart). They were just fun. Here are a couple of live bits from a reunion.

2 Likes

Rod never gets the respect his work warrants. People are free to not like his stylistic choices but you are talking about an album that came out at the end of a 6 year period that he released 6 albums all but one of which went gold, or platinum including the prior 2 that where 2x & 3x platinum. Claiming someone would “sellout” at the peak of their commercial success belies reason…

1 Like

As Miles said: you can’t sell out if no one’s buying. Every Picture Tells a Story is a glorious masterpiece and he’s also part of the best Ruttles joke: We’re bigger than Rod!

1 Like

Music by The Nits. Visuals taken from Arzak Rhapsody by Moebius.

1 Like

In addition to being a lovely tune, this is the Brian Wilson-est song Brian Wilson ever wrote.

2 Likes

Not often you get instrumentals getting major viewing figures on YouTube, so credit where it is due.

1 Like

Old school favorite. She fing rocked.

5 Likes

Also, first hit single in the US to mention same sex sex, if I do recall.

3 Likes

Stacking some OG stuff FTW.

2 Likes

Found these between the cushions.

2 Likes

Aww, now this happened. Oh, the ennui!

I would like to say, I totally didn’t intend to lay out some sick tunes. I would like to say that…

Massive epic edit: If there’s one thing I can honestly say, every generation has an anthem. Do you know your generations anthem? SHOW ME! If you’re down with that kinda thing that is…

1 Like

A curious situation that I think merits a word or two.

2 Likes

Fantastic. Not sure why but it reminded me of Victor Borge, and sent me down a crazy classical pianist rabbit hole. LOL

2 Likes

And of course as all such ponderings regarding mad geniuses of classical music must, I found myself reminded of the gloriously bizarre case of the Viking of Sixth Avenue, Moondog. Now THAT was a mad genius.

1 Like

I was reminded of this one from Les McCann, with Leroy Vinnegar on bass (not going to get up and dig out the record). From the “cancellable takes” thread.

My bar where I drink RC Cola and shoot pool happens to have a nice selection of Les McCann instrumental tracks. For a while as a teenager, my mind was completely blown by Les’s playing: to me it was like Ramsey Lewis but times like a million. Not all of his records are great or even good, and he was a kind of annoying guy IRL, sort of takes over the room, very loud, huge ego.

But that man could play like nobody’s business in his particular bag.

2 Likes

Dire Sraits…in driftable form.

2 Likes

I think any keyboardist of my age knows this Rzewski jam, from the Bill Bolcom/Rzewsksi double threat album by pianist Paul Jacobs.

2 Likes