The Majestic Music Appreciation Thread

One of the more sampled beats in the 90s the original still sounds great

3 Likes

Of course Hamelin had to do his own recording of the Rzewski.

He’s such a show off.

And now you see why doing the Winnsboro at age thirteen or fourteen was not that popular at home with my father watching MacNeil-Lehrer or whatever.

On an upright piano that was already beat-to-ess. Here it is with the score, preceded by “DBTR” from the same set.

2 Likes

Was doing some cross stitch at work and listening to Yourclassical.org (My favorite site for good background music.) and Elmer Bernsteins theme from The Magnificent Seven came on. A fantastic track by any measure. Got me to thinking about great movie scores. Everyone knows John Williams of course, but anyone have any other good film composer recommendations?

2 Likes

I have always been fond of Philip Glass.

3 Likes

Oh heck yeah. Philip Glass, Brian Eno, Mike Oldfield, Kitaro, and Jean-Michel Jarre the almighty gods of the ambient music pantheon in my book. LOL

2 Likes

Miklós Rózsa. Yes, he was all about the Westerns and the Noirs and the such.

That’s probably his most famous riff, but dig the orchestration. Tight brass section. Strings under control.

Bad mf.

2 Likes

Nice! That’s getting added to my play list!

2 Likes

Nice!

And don’t forget Victor Young (you can hear his performance on the Steely Dan record from 1977, Aja, on the track “Black Cow”).

He was a bad mofo from way back.

I suspect the “Squirrel Chase,” aside from the favorite standard “Stella,” might be the source of Kevin’s go-to riff, “ya-da-da-da-dit-da-da-da-dit-dit-dit-da-dee-da.”

Machine music indeed.

3 Likes

Don’t forget the late great Harold Budd…

2 Likes

And then there’s our good friend from Diabolik, Sig. Morricone. I never get tired of hearing “The Ecstasy of Gold.”

3 Likes

Well, the regular piano reduction is not actually difficult to play, but for amusement’s sake, here’s some dude’s little video thing. I can’t find the original video with the reduction when I first learned this maybe two or three years ago or so, but this is kind of amusing.

The core piano reduction is the same, just with some added visuals plus a bit of prepared piano work at the strings.

It’s almost Halloween somewhere, right?

3 Likes

How can you get tired of hearing Ecstasy of Gold? When that song plays it means there’s about 2 minutes till Metallica hits the stage.

2 Likes

One of the greatest compositions of the 20th century, IMHO.

1 Like

I love Van Morrison. This song, from 20 years ago, is one which deserves to be heard more. It has a folk song like quality to it, beginning with his recounting of a pleasant stroll he took one day, using that as an opportunity “to contemplate my own true self” and then veering off into an unabashedly sentimental (and majestic) Irish singalong.

3 Likes

Well, there is Khia’s “My Neck My Back,” which deserves some play. Unfortunately, it is the only tune off that album which is absent from my local’s jukebox.

But here’s one I’ve been semi-consciously thinking about while on the job trying to come up with fun little phrases to get the drivers TF out my beloved drivelane!

This one’s a bad-a$$ mofo performance! Judas priest, ain’t about half nobody could put on a show like that, over decades.

2 Likes

Yesterday’s trip to the record store:

• David Bowie - Toy
  • GWAR - The New Dark Ages
  • Soulfly - Totem
  • Municipal Waste - Electrified Brain
  • Krisiun - Mortem Solis
  • Dream Theater - Number Of The Beast
  • Fuzzdolly - The Dead Whisper
  • Primus - Conspiranoid
  • Amon AMarth - The Great Heathen Army
  • Opeth - Damnation
  • Iggy Pop - The Idiot
  • Stevie Wonder - Music Of My Mind
  • Venom - Black Metal
  • Motörhead - Another Perfect Day
  • Motörhead - Snake Bite Love
5 Likes

Your town has way cooler record stores than mine.

1 Like

One of the threads I frequent recently became embroiled in that most heinous of things, politics. (That was not an invitation to emulation by the way.:rofl:) The point? Reminded me of one of my all time favorite Who songs I first saw Pete Townshend perform on The Secret Policeman’s Other Ball.

4 Likes

Well, one record store anyway. But yeah, when that store closes it will be a very sad day.

1 Like

Since elementary school, I first listened to this one song from Carnival of the Animals: Aquarium. But after a while, I completely forgot about the song, until I rediscovered it sometime around 2013.

1 Like