The Majestic Music Appreciation Thread

Well said! Its a real marvel, glad you dug it

They’re such different singers as well. Rare luck to have two great singers, with such different approaches, and have it work both times.

As much as I rep for Di’Anno they would never have lasted as long without Dickinson I don’t think. They definitely wouldn’t have been able to fly themselves to as many gigs!

So this is a band that has been on the radar for some time, but I’ve never got to them. Where is a good place to start? Lot of love for YLT, particularly the prime Painful - And Then Nothing Turned Itself Inside Out era. I dropped off a bit after Summer Sun but saw them for the first time pre-COVID on the tour for There’s A Riot Going On, which is a great record.

2 Likes

Antietam Comes Alive from their more ragged, punkish period. Has some elements in common with the YLT jam, I think. Burgoo also gets lots of acclaim but I haven’t yet heard the whole thing.

Victory Park and Opus Mixtum for elements of what was once called “Shoegaze,” but paradoxically often tighter and firmer than that sub-genre. Tracks like “Attract Mode” and “Turn It On Me” should really have found their way onto some of those nighttime soaps for the younger set. Or maybe some indy version of a romantic comedy. Surprised that they never did.

1 Like

Thanks! I will make some time for these suggestions in the week ahead.

The longevity of the term shoegaze continues to shock, given it was originally coined as a diss. I tend to run a mile from a contemporary band claiming the name as it usually means allot of TEXTURE and not much else. And that is fine in some cases, but not when the matter at hand is ostensibly Rock Music.

2 Likes

Lol. I highly doubt they’d claim it, even in jest. As you say, things have a way of ricocheting, in ways no one expects.

I only mention it because for me it brings to mind maybe a less-ferocious but still tasty wall-of-guitar feel common in a group like Wire. (I think that was the parallel Mr. Potroast made when I first played VP for him.) See also: groups like Catherine Wheel, Band Of Susans, Juned (local women who broke up just as they were really finding their sound), etc. …

1 Like

@Yorkshire_Paul @CLANG_Potroast Yeah, the ‘Shoegaze’ thing is gaining a second wind lately… I think a lot of that is due to rediscovery via those bands being taken as an influence by many Post Rock/Post Metal bands (Cult of Luna and Lantlôs, for instance.) Even bands in Black Metal have drawn from the style (famously, Deafheaven, who got enormous backlash once every hipster started rocking Sunbather. Black Metal ‘kvlt’ dudes railing against hipsters is ironic, since they are just as obnoxious… just trade fedoras and mustaches for spikes and pentagrams.)

Loved seeing Band of Susans mentioned! I discovered them via Page Hamilton from Helmet.

1 Like

Lunchtime at work headphone music for today-

2 Likes

Nice. Didn’t know about her or her music.

Don’t know what you’d call it: probably just rock n’ roll with some shades of Motörhead and a bunch of other rock influences.

I’d call it: pretty kick-a** rock and roll.

2 Likes

Lemmy would agree and raise a glass to that, I think.

2 Likes

Not enough women guitarists at the highest levels of the art: Susan Tedeschi, Bonnie Raitt, Tara Key I’m learning about now. Or maybe the right amount: I have no way of telling what the good amount is.

It is a kind of macho instrument, I suppose, so all the more respect to those who said “eff it, I’ma play, mofo!”

Also in jazz, which through the years has been not just macho, but unfortunately dismissive of male homosexuals (JJ Johnson comes to mind: despite his formidable presence and number of credits, I think he was openly mocked and derided in his day). But things have changed for the better: nobody disses Fred Hersch on piano!

That goes all the way back to Jelly Roll Morton, who I think said or wrote somewhere: “When you play piano, people sometimes think you’ve got a little bit of that taint.” (paraphrased, but something like that).

But, particularly in jazz and legit music, women have always had a more substantial presence. On piano especially. Blues or blues-based rock keyboards? No so much (Honey Piazza, Patrice Rushen are legends, as was Janice Scroggins), but jazz and legit music, yes, absou.tely

And, nowadays, so many great efforts to attempt to mentor young women in fields like recording engineering and production as well, another traditional “boys-nerd club.”

As much as I still revere the classics in whatever genre, I find it an exciting time to hear and see a more inclusive set of voices.

Although I don’t seek out new music, generally, so threads like this are very valuable to old-school, head-in-the-past people like me.

2 Likes

https://www.neverendingchartrendering.org/

You guys ever make a Topsters chart? A bunch of my friends and I made ours. Found out a lot of us were Mr. Bungle fans, myself included.

Here’s mine.

Seems like a fun little activity, we had a lot of fun making ours and comparing notes, seeing what albums and artists we had in common.

3 Likes

I haven’t, but that’s a great idea!

1 Like

Still with us, too:

In a rock vein, Fanny is still around, and I think all the women from Ace Of Cups are, too: (too bad the bozos who uploaded lost the sound until 1:45. o_0 )

(That’s it for tonight. I have to sleep sometime. :smiley: )

3 Likes

@jimmy_two_times I think they’ve been there all along (for just one example, Maybelle Carter) but the industry has been slow to catch up.
You’re seeing more and more women who are being recognized for being amazing guitarists- St. Vincent, for instance, amazes me every time she takes a solo. Gina Gleason from Baroness can shred with the best. Here she is annihilating “Hot for Teacher” with the guys from Mutoid Man on the metal webseries Two Minutes to Late Night.

Japan has seen an absolute explosion in all female rock groups of all sorts, from the hard rock of Band-Maid:

To the experimental post-punk of Tricot:

To the insane power metal of Lovebites (this one has one of the best dueling guitar solos I’ve seen in forever. LOVE IT.):

2 Likes

Nice! One of my favorites, and they do a pretty fun cover of the song as well. After all, the song should be fun as well as kick-a**.

1 Like

@jimmy_two_times I freaking LOVED Two Minutes to Late Night. They had to stop doing it during COVID because of the place it was filmed at (the St. Vitus bar in Brooklyn) was closed.

But during all that they did something VERY cool. Gwarsenio Hall (aka Jordan Olds, in the corpse paint) and Steven Brodsky from Mutoid Man would put together collabs with various metal all stars on covers from wherever they were stuck at, at home. The proceeds went to all the roadies and such that had no work.

Here’s one of my favorite ones of those- them covering a (pre-Steve Perry!) Journey song, “Of a Lifetime”-

2 Likes

Too true! Also an excuse to post The Greatest Prank Call Of All Time

Co-signed for sure. I think ‘The Net’ has been great for giving a platform for people to get round the last few institutional gate keepers and their inherent biases, although it is a very very crowded platform which does reward the kind of Personal Branding that isn’t my favourite kind of activity.

But all that aside shout out Mary Halvorson who tears it up on the guitar and as a composer in the Jazz idiom and beyond.

Nope, but it’s just made the to-do list where it will surely get prioritised over something more consequential because that is how I roll.

2 Likes

Also this has been independently verified by me as Righteously Rocking. More than delivers on the promise of the album cover, which is a big bill of Rock to meet.

1 Like

:sunglasses: That one can always pull me out of a bad mood. :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

That’s cool. I take it the higher up an album is in the stack, the more frequently it’s played?

I’ve been doing something similar for a few years but in a “periodic table” format:

… where similar genres are lumped together. Albums are in alphabetical order by artist and then ordered by release date, with compilations and tributes within the same genre appearing last. The “lanthanides” and “actinides” are comedy albums and soundtracks.

4 Likes

I’m having fun introducing my kiddos to the music I grew up with. Today we’re listening to The Beatles. They’re my mum’s favorite band and their music was the soundtrack to a lot of cherished memories:

The runtime of 1 is exactly how long it used to take to get from my house to my future husband’s house.

Singing “Come Together” with my gaming group after a session of Vampire the Masquerade had totally broken down into bickering.

Only getting their name in high school during a road trip with my best friend and her dad. We were listening to them and I blurted out,“Oh my God, I’m an idiot! I just got their name!” Que her British father laughing so hard he had to pull over.

3 Likes