The Meaning Behind Your Screenname

No one told me I had to mean things!

12 Likes

Well, I never met a Luna I didn’t like!

16 Likes

Well, I said in my intro I wouldn’t tell this story… but what the heck?

I was introduced to the 1994 Starman comic book by a Comic Book Guy who worked at my first shop, Gold Mine Comics in Victoria, Texas. We had differing tastes and he handed me a copy of it from the bargain bin saying “You’d like this. This guy talks like you.” (i.e. educated and with a lot of obscure references)

I read it, loved it, and when prompted to make an e-mail address years later, randomly chose StarmanMatt as my tagline. Later, when I joined a Rocky Horror troupe, but began chatting with the cast members on their forums and began showing up at shows, I became known as Starman Matt because there were three other Matts in the group. And then after they exited, I simply became Starman.

So… yeah. Not much of a story, but it is mine.

16 Likes

I use variations on Torgo (ha, that sounds like a classical music selection) for handles and nicknames for a LONG time. Mike just kills me with delivering Torgo’s Pizza and then there was a sketch at some point where Torgo comes back like Gandalf :rofl:

13 Likes

When Torgo comes back is when Frank leaves.

10 Likes

I was in the Navy, and a guy in my division called me Guntario. I liked it. Been using it since, and that was around 2000.

11 Likes

I stream pen and paper RPGs and Video games on Twitch under PantsAre4Suckers, but somehow my friends shortened to Pants. So now, apparently, I am for suckers. :stuck_out_tongue:

11 Likes

Thank you for your service! It is greatly appreciated, as many of my friends and family have served as well in many branches!

8 Likes

For me, i did not choose the name for this forum. It was auto-suggested, based on registration details, but it was my nom de plume that adopted in the mid-90s. Being very socially reserved and unpracticed, more so at the time, i was still able to attract an interesting array of friends partially due to many years working in record stores (and having gone to tons of shows & skateboarded all over town). A new friend, at the time, was a music promoter who had heard some of my mixtapes and thought the weird & slightly experimental sounds needed a wider audience. After quite a bit of rapport-building, i agreed to do some gigs. I believe i was playing in between live acts - keeping the bands and sometimes the crowds soothed and/or provoked. I was way always better having to fill 30-40-60 minutes in between an interesting set of bands/performers, as opposed to playing music for hours on end.

ANYWAY, i needed a name and rickloose fit part of my personality, as well as my delivery/style as a dj (loose). also, it sounded like it could almost be someone’s name.

(I cannot ever thank my friends that drew me out of the house to experience life differently enough - amazing. So many great bands, people, intoxications and life experiences were had… )

As shows get going again, i am eyeing a return - if i can find any slots to fill. I mean, what would have been the point of keeping records & gear all these years only to sell it as i near middle-age?! :facepunch::beers:

10 Likes

BIG61AL — well my name al and i am big…al big looked weird so made it big al but that spells like bi gal and i am not BI or a gal so BIG61AL it is…

10 Likes

It’s a good story. And let’s face it, Jack Knight IS best Starman.

7 Likes

On AOL in the late 90s a formula just came to me. Adjective you want to bring to people, plus an animal. So I thought EUPHORIAFISH! And it stuck ever since. Happiness swims. Fish are friends AND food. It’s ephemeral, but very high in Omega 3s. In foreign lands, I’m sometimes also known as 幸福な魚。

12 Likes

Well bees on pie, what a great screen name!

7 Likes

Ooh, can’t wait to catch some of your brilliant insights. If you want to offload the overload please let me know!

5 Likes

mst3ktemple comes directly from the old Mystery Science Theater Price Rebel Icon Merchandise Temple, which was the very long name of the original MST3K merchandise catalog put out by Best Brains. I shorted it down to describe the original intent for my web site, which was to show pictures of all of the merch in my collection. The web site expanded a lot from there, but that was the original idea.

13 Likes

@rickloose that’s a great name, and a cool story!

:laughing:

as for me, my real name is Bifford K. Powington, III.

10 Likes

@biff_pow Nice try, Irwin Schwab, but you can’t fool us!

7 Likes

Well it probably doesn’t need THAT much explanation. The Phoenix has always been an important symbol to me, and back when I got online for the first time in '95, even then the proper spelling was already taken, but I had started writing a book with “Foenix” as the main character, and that seemed like a good alternative. And it stuck!

9 Likes

My wife and I sing your praises quite often.

5 Likes

My high school girlfriend’s mother was from Guatemala. She pronounced my name “Es Steve” (as in “Esteban”). When I was a college dj at KUSF in the late '80s, I used “S Steve” as my on-air name. (If anyone asked what the first S stood for, I told them it was the same as the “S” in Harry S. Truman.)

When bulletin boards started happening (anyone remember The WELL?) I started using it as my screen name. And I’ve never stopped.

14 Likes