The Mighty Fan Art Thread!

Some other random drawings I found trying to find the ones that disappeared a few months ago.

20 Likes

Crow looks pretty awesome in his big-boy clothes.

1 Like

Love the cheese balls. Great job capturing the cheese dust on Crow’s beak and hands! :rofl::+1:

5 Likes

Yes, Beez really got a kick out of it. Almost as much as a cheese topped hot dish! That is high praise! :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I finally finished the ultra-mega-cross stitch that was supposed to be my sister’s Christmas present.

Now I just have to frame it.

28 Likes

Definitely worth the wait!

4 Likes

Oh that’s great!

2 Likes

Hello all, I’ve been a fan of MST3K since the early 90’s. Not quite the beginning, but close. Anyway, I’ve been an illustrator for just about as long. Mostly exceedingly boring tech stuff. I’ve been working on a series of fan-art posters: MST3K vs Monsters. I’ve stopped, started and started over a few times. I started with a KTMA episode. Not a ton of reference available, and the hosts all look quite a bit different. I just finished a season 1 episode. Dr Erhard is pretty fun to draw. J. Elvis Weinstein really swung for the fences, as a result his expressions are great. I’ve just started drawing on for a Frank episode. I plan to make it through all of the hosts, bots and Mads.

Here’s the first one:

27 Likes

…and here is the second one. I’ll post more as I finish.

Hope that you like them.

32 Likes

These are fantastic!

5 Likes

Thanks! It’s fun to obsess over all the weird little details.

4 Likes

Very cool! What’s your medium and how large are these?

2 Likes

I’ve completely transitioned to drawing on an iPad. I’ve developed arthritis, and drawing on a tablet has really been huge for me. I probably would have stopped drawing without it.

From the first sketch to final inking—I use Adobe Fresco. The coloring and final tweaks are done in photoshop.

The finished size is really big: 24x36 inches at 300 dpi.

I can share the initial sketches & reference photos too, if anyone wants to see them. Mostly they reveal how hard I work to get the faces & bot details right.

6 Likes

I’d love to see process photos. I should look into Adobe Fresco, I don’t do much digital art but it would be cool to have a good tool for that.

2 Likes

Fan-damn-tastic. You captured everyone very nicely, although I can’t help but notice the details of the bots look very period accurate. Well done, bravo.

4 Likes

Here’s the sketch layers. Lots of trial and error. After the KTMA era, the bots are pretty easy to draw. I have little models that I can pose & look at. In this picture, Dr. Erhard required very little reworking. I found a Youtube clip from a stand-up performance that was all close ups. There really isn’t much reference for Dr. F. looking to the side, so I just sort of went for it. Luckily the mustache & classes help a lot. Joel was kind tough to get right. The whole sleepy eyed hero/comedian thing. One trick that really helped: He was always lit from the top on the show. Copying the original lighting helped the likeness. There wasn’t a ton of reference for the eye creature. Nothing very clear. I used stills from the movie and pictures of model kits.

18 Likes

Very cool! I imagine having bot models is very helpful. Amazing how much it looks like Joel even in the rough sketch.

2 Likes

Lol, the sketch doesn’t capture how many times I redrew him. KTMA era Joel was even tougher to draw. I think I’m going to rework that drawing one more time.

Now that I’ve seen it small, I don’t like the area around his jaw/right ear.

3 Likes

Ha, that’s the danger of looking at your own stuff :smile:

3 Likes

I’ve started on a new piece of MST3K vs Monsters fan art-- “The Giant Gila Monster”. Dr. Forester is a bit of a cheat, his expression is lifted from a pretty famous publicity photo. Joel will probably change a lot before I start inking the image. This is a redo of an older drawing–that I never quite got right.

22 Likes