The Mystery Science Discourse 3000 Gallery of Regrettable Foods

I’ve heard of kugels, and there’s also thin-noodle-based puddings in Indian and Persian cuisine, but… this is just perplexing me. There’s no custard-like component such that the noodles would be a thickener (sort of like bread pudding). It’s just… noodles. Cooked normally and then baked without any additional moisture. Ehh??

2 Likes

Yeah, and the marmalade would just make them stickier and sweeter. Ewww…

1 Like

My only complaint about this is that I believe stadium food should be relatively easy to eat with your hands, whereas this would likely require a knife and fork.

4 Likes

On the topic of stadium food…

CBRylxkWAAA1A4U

A pulled pork parfait from Miller Park, home of the Milwaukee Brewers!

Source: (3) Mike From Woburn on X: “@Johnston985 @flynn985 After a the “Down Wisconsin Ave” Brat I’d have to have dessert. Mmmm #PulledPorkParfait http://t.co/vpO5bBodaI” / X (twitter.com)

5 Likes

In Jewish dietary law, you don’t mix meat and dairy. Jell-O would be all right with mayo so long as the latter had no dairy*. (Most mayos don’t.) If you wanted a gelatin-type dish that also has dairy, you could use agar-agar instead of gelatin. Agar-agar is made from algae, and you can’t really discern it from gelatin in a molded dish apart from it being a bit more cloudy.

*If you want to get really nerdy, note that some Rabbinical experts define even beef-based gelatin as being all right as a trace ingredient in yogurt, for example. But they would demand that the source for it be beef or fish killed according to Kashreit practices. Never gelatin from pigs:

1 Like

If Jell-O and mayonnaise had existed in Moses’ time he certainly would have declared that combination treif. Also gross.

2 Likes

Yeah, there’s not much you can do in that vein without refrigeration, or at least a very cold winter. :wink:

1 Like

Several things I ate in the hospital would qualify for this thread. One thing in particular was the absolute blandest potato salad I have ever eaten. I understand why it had to be bland, but I still didn’t like it. Thankfully, Gamera’s Dad got me a packet of Frank’s Red Hot sauce and some Old Bay from the hospital cafeteria, which made the potato salad edible. (You know you’re in a hospital in Maryland when you can find Old Bay in the cafeteria.)

7 Likes

When my dad was in the hospital a few years ago for an almost-fatal asthma attack, they suspected a heart issue and had him on a strict cardio diet… no salt at all. He said it was the worst food he ever ate.

3 Likes

Of course, one might suspect its presence if found in certain types of dishes…

Yeah, same stuff.

5 Likes

Passover was always when those Joya gumdrop fruit slices would come out. They had agar agar in them. Grandma was smart, though. She kept them locked away until after the Seder dinner was complete. :grin:

2 Likes

Speaking of the Renegade

3 Likes

Meh. I’m not a health nut. But I don’t see the appeal of all that in one meal. Just gimme’ one meat (or meat stand-in. I quite like tofu dogs), with the pickles and usual condiments. I’ll be fine.

That long breadstuff reminds me, though: yesterday I split something called a “Chopped cheese” with MR_Potroast at a bar. It was hunks of burger mixed with bits of American cheese on a hoagie, topped with the typical burger sauce. We added some chipotle Tabasco. Mostly we chose it because we wanted to split something meaty, and it seemed like it would be easier to divide neatly than a regular burger. It was delicious (and yes: divided well with minimal carnage). One of my better recent sandwiches out.

2 Likes

It’s a good man who will smuggle some G.D. flavor into a hospital room for you. :clap:

5 Likes

Did they run out of pickles, caramelized onions and perogies as they made that one?

3 Likes

Yeah, it looks pretty sad. I wasn’t expecting it to totally live up to the advertising, but at that point I’d almost rather it was totally plain.

1 Like

We talked about this product earlier on the thread…guess what I found this morning at my local Walmart!

5 Likes

The latter sounds at least possibly edible, but the former…

Saw this in the grocery store a couple of days ago, and forgot to post it!

Peeps.

As cereal.

No. No. No.

What is the fascination with Peeps these days?

Marshmallow-flavored cereal with marshmallows?

5 Likes

Hard pass on both.

It’s like they desperately need to rub people’s impoverishment in their faces. Ha ha ha too bad you can’t afford real food so here’s even less than the ghost of that just so you can feel even worse about your life!!

Just go ahead and make it with cat food flavor for retirees on fixed incomes, too… and be done with it.

4 Likes