The Mystery Science Discourse 3000 Gallery of Regrettable Foods

I don’t want to eat food staring back at me.

6 Likes

Who wants bananas wrapped in brined herring?

Retro Pass-the-Barf-Bag (Hey, my mom used to make that!)

4 Likes

John Candy No GIF by Laff

5 Likes

Could be worse — could be lutefisk.

5 Likes

Paging Dr. Lecter

2 Likes

You think John Cleese, Graham Chapman, or J.K. Rowling… nah.

3 Likes

And you need to whack some monsters at Party Beach.

3 Likes
3 Likes

I’ve actually heard of “beef fudge” elsewhere, but they used some other treatment of the beef, I think… it wasn’t just cooked ground beef, it was some kind of very fine dried shreds or something, like the powdery bits you find at the bottom of a bag of beef jerky.

Not saying it makes any sense, mind you…

3 Likes

That’s not terribly far off from some kinds of pemmican: more sweetening, for example.

4 Likes

Yeah, but people ate pemmican because it was the middle of winter and they were desperate, not because it was a tasty dessert.

4 Likes

Did you miss the part about some of the sweetened pemmicans being served at wedding feasts? That doesn’t strike me as something that’s just shelf-stable survival food. Taste is relative.

3 Likes

I admit I didn’t read the article. That’s just always what I had been told about pemmican- that it was for winter survival.

2 Likes

Mince pies (a British Christmas staple) nowadays don’t contain meat, but they certainly used to. I think it was normally mutton, rather than beef but even so, an odd element in a sweet pastry.
Nowadays it is dried fruit, spices and booze that comprise the filling, with a little suet for fat content.

4 Likes

Sweet things with meat isn’t really that unusual in a lot of cultures. A lot of middle eastern dishes are things like lamb with apricots.

3 Likes

Here’s a traditional mince pie recipe I found.

Traditional mince pie recipe from 1851 or earlier
Cool the meat from a shank of beef boiled 6 hours. Free from bone, fat, and gristle. Chop fine.

To 1 quart meat, add 3 quarts chopped apples, 1 quart each of chopped raisins, sugar, and molasses, 1 pint chopped suet, 1/2 cup each of salt and cinnamon, 1/4 cup each of cloves, mace and allspice, 6 grated nutmegs. Mix all thoroughly with the hands. Then turn on the mixture 6 quarts of good cider, and let stand overnight.

In the morning, scald in a porcelain kettle for 1 hour. Put in stone pots, cover tight, and keep in cool, dry place. This will keep 3 months. Prepare paste and plates as for apple pies and put in mincemeat. Grate a little nutmeg over it and strew a few whole raisins in; cover and bake 1 hour in moderate oven.

No, I did not leave room for dessert or pudding or this atrocity.

I’m pleased there won’t be bone or gristle, but what have you added by mixing it with “the hands”?? :nauseated_face:

2 Likes

Nothing specific. Could be penguin, could be giraffe. Get creative!

4 Likes

Actually, it’s more specific than I thought it would be.

2 Likes

But… what about-- SCULPTING IN FOIL ?!?!?!

5 Delicious Easter Recipes (2), c1960

1 Like

Staples, styrofoam, hand-crumpled metal fish, I love it all, I am a foodie

3 Likes