The "new Manos"

Joel has said they believe they found a movie so bad for this season that it’s going to be the new “Manos”.

I’m curious if when they announce the new episodes on Turkey Day, they will also note which movie it is they think deserves that “honor”.

12 Likes

Didn’t he also say that before season 11 and everyone figured it must have been “Carnival Magic”, or am I misremembering?

6 Likes

I mean it kind of is.

2 Likes

I can’t wait to find out!!!

1 Like

But… we have a Manos for the 21st Century… it’s called Manos.

5 Likes

What’s also interesting to consider is which host will have the honor of riffing the new Manos.

Are they going to give that task to one of the new era hosts, or is Joel going to take down one more legendarily awful movie?

6 Likes

I don’t know, "the new Manos" – them’s pretty big words right there. Manos was such a shock to the senses, like discovering a new element for the periodic table; kinda rewrites everything that came before it. Carnival Magic was awesome, but I don’t think it’s even in the same galaxy as Manos …

15 Likes

No, you’re right: he said that while working on Season 11, they expected Carnival Magic would be the breakout favorite like Manos, Space Mutiny, The Final Sacrifice, etc. So they were surprised when fans seemed to view Cry Wilderness as the standout of the season (which I agree with).

Manos is dead! Long live Manos!

I think I’m alone in this, but while Manos was definitely a shock when the episode came out, I think since then, so many even more bizarre movies have been riffed, Manos starts to look . . . well, not good, but like it has a few positives. The soundtrack is actually pretty good. And the scenes of the family in the cabin at night are genuinely creepy. The painting of The Master is ominous, the daughter suddenly wanders off (which even in a terrible movie, can affect any parent), and the night outside does seem to stretch out forever in an unsettling way. Compared to Red Zone Cuba or Creeping Terror, its downright watchable.

17 Likes

It’s sorta cool that Manos has become a gold standard. Regardless if one loves or hates the movie, we are at least on the same page with how rough of a watch it is and the extra effort required from riffing to try and save the day.

11 Likes

A Manos is for life, not just for Christmas.

6 Likes

I hope they’ve found something that would actually fit the billing. I think at this point though it would have to be an actual snuff film or something equally horrible and obscure to penetrate our Manos-hardened defenses.

I wonder who has taken over for Frank as the resident doyen of such films? Probably multiple people do the work now.

4 Likes

For sheer grubby ineptitude, Things is somewhere near Manos territory.

6 Likes

While I certainly couldn’t watch Manosagain, I’d like to add Mighty Jack as a close second. I saw it for the first time last week and like tuna fish, it stuck with me. As far as I can tell it had at least 4 endings that somehow didn’t take and the movie continued.

10 Likes

Some movies can’t be killed. Not even with a forklift.

14 Likes

Or in this case a flying submarine.
On the upside it did give us boom-boom-cyanide tablets.

4 Likes

Every time I saw “honor” in this thread, I read it as “horror”.

1 Like

Or Monster A-Go-Go, which if you’re not invested in the show’s premise can be very difficult to make it through, and then, that “ending,” wow.

9 Likes

Unriffed, I would watch “Manos” seven times in a row before I’d watch Castle of Fu Manchu. I understand a fertilizer salesman trying and failing miserably more than I do, y’know, actual film people.

13 Likes

They should all put on sheer gowns and wrestle for it.

13 Likes

My son and I couldn’t get through monster a-go-go.

But he has requested to re-watch Manos, multiple times…

9 Likes