The night before The Night Before.

It’s generally agreed upon by me that this week, given the cooking I do starting tomorrow night, is pretty much grab and go, take-out, if it takes longer than five minutes it’s off the menu…

Got me wondering what ‘not really a tradition but damn close’ others have.

Tonight, around 8-830, it’s A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving. Then, back in my studio for some drawing time as it’s the last I can count on seeing my drawing table for a bit, at least not in a work-related capacity, maybe throw on a movie or grab a book and try to relax, spend time with the cats (they love TDay, but it is oh so hard for them to get the idea of ‘not yet!’ :wink:
Tomorrow is probaby a full work day and I’m training two others and will be reviewing their work and lighting so no break there. Then it’s pretty much right into making three of the sides and working out the sched for Thu (that stuff doesn’t all hit the table at the same time on its own!), maybe more of the same with movie/book, and if i’m lucky some drawing time, but… then it’s ready for the main event. Sadly this year and last I haven’t had the luxury of skating to burn some stress off… but that’s part of things at times.

5 Likes

I love that you’re giving A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving a spin! Anything Peanuts-related ranks so high in my book, and it’s such a fun special.

As for tomorrow? No real tradition or set-in-stone stuff to do outside of getting some kind of takeout. Maybe a pizza, maybe some Chinese, I dunno. Something that makes it all easy for me.

5 Likes

Like many people, my usual holiday traditions have been pretty much flushed down the khazi the last couple of years. Same this year.

Tomorrow is a work day but they’re letting us out at 3. My brother and his family are coming up from Virginia tomorrow and we will have a semi-catered dinner on Thanksgiving Day at my parents’ house. (The meal is prepared, but we have to go pick it up.)

I will try to watch the Charlie Brown special at some point before that… it used to be mandatory for Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas but the last couple of years I’ve forgotten (except Christmas). My brother’s family goes home this weekend but he himself is staying another week. This weekend we might put up my parents’ Christmas tree… a little earlier than usual, but I think they’d like my brother to be part of it. And the lighting of the Advent wreath.

At some point over the weekend my mother and I will watch the original Miracle On 34th Street, officially kicking off the Christmas season.

5 Likes

Excellent choice!

I’d like to kick off Christmas season with It’s a Wonderful Life this weekend.

3 Likes

The past few years it’s just been me and my partner, and though I like to cook I’d prefer not to spend most of the day in the kitchen with my back aching just for the two of us. So, after many tries of doing just that I’ve decided to go with ordering the complicated dishes - mashed potatoes, gravy, dressing, pie - pre-made from Whole Foods and only cooking the greens and protein the day of. The pre-made product is about as good as I can make myself, I can dress it up as I see fit, and it shaves at least 6 hours of kitchen time off so I can dive into food, wine, and Turkey Day Marathon.

4 Likes

My husband has Thanksgiving down to a science – he can put out a turkey, mashed potatoes, gravy, stuffing (made from bread, not a mix) and cranberry sauce (not from a can) and spends less than three hours total in the kitchen. To be fair, we do buy the pie pre-made. And I stay the hell out of the way.

I don’t know how, I’m assuming he folds time and space, or he secretly has the time travel oven from the Killer Fish episode.

6 Likes

This is basically my approach… I enjoy it, but even though I do pretty much the same dinner at XMas, I then go 11 months letting myself forget how the hell I did things last year!!!

2 Likes

I’ve done all those and it took around… 4-6 hours. Unless he chops faster than the speed of sound I don’t see how that’s physically possible. The only explanation is witchcraft is real, in which case for my own protection I don’t want to know any more about it.

3 Likes

It’s always fun, nostalgia and just fun bits to take in… I had the fun of a behind the scenes and vault tour at the Schulz museum when I was still in northern Ca at Lucasfilm. Amazing to see Peanuts and more as he drew them.
This year’s twist (it’s always somthing) was catching the first episode of the second part of the newest He-Man series on Netflix. I never quite got the whole H-M thing, but it’s interesting to see work updated by folks who obviously have a deep affection for the original. And some of the lines they get in…! (well, it is on Netflix…)

3 Likes

The only real chopping is for the stuffing, and a little for the gravy. It’s all about doing everything in a very precise order so it fits together like temporal tetris. And being able to cook more than one thing at a time, a skill I have never mastered.

2 Likes

We usually host parentals for TGiving, but because of Covid, this is the 2nd year it’s just me and my housemate. We are doing the little Turkey Trot across the street, then we’re making Broccoli and Lamb Masala with “pink salad” for dessert.

In a normal year, we’d be throwing the Turkey breast into the slow cooker with apples and onions and BBQ sauce for our pulled BBQ turkey, plus roasted brussel sprouts or carrots, Mac and cheese, corn spoon bread, stuffing of some type, and califlower potato mash. One year we did BBQ turkey sliders with sweet potato fries!

But I’m stoked about our masala feast. Then it’s time to put up the massive :evergreen_tree:!

2 Likes

The Night Before?

2 Likes

Got to thinking about a fun tradition I was part of in the mid-80s. Friends would host Thanksgiving dinner along with a scavenger hunt. In the couple of months leading up to TDay, the hosts would create clues that would lead to specific intersections, where teams in cars would head out and hope to, by dinner time, be the first to solve all of the clues from location to location. (Prime Time Mallard might lead you to the corner of Neilsen and Fillmore) The hosts also had a hotline, their house phone really, where teams could call in and with a time penalty, be told where to go for the next clue. The genius of this? You always knew where everyone was and they had to show up hours before the meal.

The prize? You hosted next year.

3 Likes

Here we go again. XMas Eve Eve Tea (so that leftovers don’t run into the massive effort that is XMas dinner). Pic is sans tea. For two, plus two hopeful cats.

6 Likes

Above is ham sandwiches, smoked salmon sandwiches, deviled eggs, cheese bread twists, puff pastry with bacon/chevre, puff pastry with smoked sausage, chocolate truffles, chocolate cheesecake squares, macarons, traditional berry trifle, butterscotch-banana trifle (ladyfingers difficult to get, went with pound cake)

1 Like

Better than Miley Cyrus singing to Joseph Gordon Levitt’s ex girlfriend. I had to mute it when I rented it.

Michael Shannon was hilarious in that movie, though.

1 Like

That looks so delicious. Also, I have that same mug :smiley:

3 Likes