The Original Sampo

Hmmm, they’re a bit too loud, I still can’t entirely hear what’s being narrated even when I concentrate on it.

But! First time I watched this film, I did google “sampo”, so I went into it with a working idea of what they were talking about.

1 Like

“The people toiled very hard. For it had been promised that if they worked the earth and the sea, one day they would be given as their reward the Sampo, the Mill of Everything. A marvelous machine which could turn anything into endless gold, silver, jewels, (something), and salt. Such was the magic of the Sampo.”

1 Like

Dude, that’s a tricorder! Now we know what powered all the amazing wonders of Star Trek. I’m sure the replicators could produce gold and salt and all that.

“To boldly go where Sampo has gone before…”

2 Likes

I’d hazard a guess that (something) would be grain, from the original legend.

1 Like

They say ‘flour’ in the film when the Sampo has been created if I recall correctly.

1 Like

Back when it first aired, it was easy for me to process cross-currents of talk like that. So I could follow it just fine. Now, alas, that wouldn’t be true. I don’t even like to have conversations in the car when the radio has a talk show on. :o

3 Likes

I have to admit: I have spent several minutes trying to figure out what episode is playing on that Sampo! :smiley:

3 Likes

It’s not the full episode. It’s only a Sampo.

5 Likes

Project Gutenberg has The Kalevala in both English and Finnish.

That seems like a long read. I can start in English but I can’t Finnish.

3 Likes

= :tomato:

=== :tomato:

====== :tomato:

(how do they say “SPLAT!” in Finland?)

3 Likes

Oh hey. A free tomato! Thanks! You’re the Swedish.

3 Likes

Heh, I can’t quite figure it out, myself… but it would be apropos if they were watching The Day the Earth Froze…

4 Likes

You don’t need to wait for someone to throw Swedish tomatoes. You can just grow them yourself.

1 Like

Which is why gold is completely worthless in the 24th Century.

Quark’s Worthless Gold - YouTube

2 Likes

Grabbed a closer screenshot from the Vault version. I’m going to go ahead and say it’s the ship returning to the now-frozen viking town in The Day The Earth Froze.

4 Likes

Click for yet more pandering to the 50+ crowd:

:notes: “That’s life… Saaaaam-PO !!” :notes:

1 Like

I’m driving down Peachtree Industrial in Atlanta with a visiting friend, also a MSTie, and she about died upon seeing the giant ‘Sampo’ sign along the highway.

4 Likes

Good catch!

3 Likes

Happy to help! I nearly missed out on Ilya Muromets since I slept on the standard edition, so once Sampo hit, I knew better to strike sooner than later :wink:

1 Like