The Pro Wrestling Thread

Here’s a thread to discuss the wild wacky world of pro rasslin’. Whether you like WWE, New Japan, Ring Of Honor, All Elite Wrestling, or any of the myriad of independent promotions around the world, here’s a thread to discuss it.

Me, tonight, I am headed out to the AEW Dynamite show in Philly. I am pumped, because I haven’t been to a live event in YEARS.

9 Likes

It’s strange, a few years back I would watch hours on end, heck I went the RAW when it was here yonkers ago, but recently I can’t be bothered to sit thru regular programming.

I’m still interested and keep up with WWE and AEW via Youtube, but i just don’t have the desire to sit and watch full episodes of pretty much anything.

3 Likes

El Santo vs. Orange Cassidy: The Movie

5 Likes

Those devastating Orange Cassidy kicks would be too brutal for film!

4 Likes

My head canon is that Luchasaurus was an egg raised by El Santo.

4 Likes

I’m an old school wrestling fan from the mid-to-late Eighties: the days of AWA Championship Wrestling (with Larry Zbyszko, Nick Bockwinkel & Greg Gagne), Championship Wrestling from Florida (with Bruiser Brody & Kevin Sullivan), National Wrestling Alliance/Jim Crockett Promotions (with Dusty Rhodes & Magnum T.A.), and WWF Superstars of Wrestling (with Roddy Piper & King Kong Bundy). My guy was always Randy “Macho Man” Savage. I had much of his merch.

4 Likes

Savage was great. And of course, I maintain that Heenan and Monsoon were the most entertaining commentary team of all time, though Taz and Excalibur on AEW Dark come very very close.

4 Likes

I used to love hearing Gorilla say, “Puhleeeeze,” whenever the Brain would make an outrageous statement.

3 Likes

I listen to Jim Cornette’s podcasts quite often and he namedrops MST from time to time. Don’t watch much current wrestling but I do kind of keep up with what’s happening, but yeah, I’m more of a fan of the old school stuff.

1 Like

His “WILL YOU STOP!?” is legendary.

5 Likes

Last night’s show was so much fun. After the taping for Rampage, Tony Khan came out to talk about how much Philly wrestling meant to him as a fan watching in the late 90s, then he called Jericho and Taz to come down to ring and asked for Dean Malenko and Jerry Lynn to come out. All of them said a little something to send the crowd home happy.

5 Likes

No lie, that would be cool to see in person. Kudos you got to enjoy it.

2 Likes

At about the 1 minute 30 mark, footage of what looks like Tor Johnson, wresting under the name “King Kong”. What do you think, sirs?

1 Like

Georgia Championship Wrestling in the 80’s was fantastic

1 Like

Great stuff

1 Like

Oh wow, there’s a wrasslin’ thread in here! AEW live is an amazing experience! I went to Double Or Nothing 2021 first row and let me tell you….every fan should pony up the money for first row tickets at least once. It was f’n awesome

2 Likes

Scott Hall suffered a serious complication during hip replacement surgery last week, in which a blood clot got loose and he suffered three heart attacks.

I haven’t followed wrestling in 10+ years. Probably one of my favorite wrestlers (along with Steve Austin & The Undertaker), this one hurts :cry:

True story: Back in the mid-90s sometime, my brother went to USC and he was at a gym in Columbia, SC when Scott Hall came by but they wouldn’t let him in because he wasn’t a member, so my brother signed him in as a guest. Scott Hall gave him a couple tickets to the house show that night as thanks.

1 Like

Was a fan in the late 80’s to early 90’s, then lost access to Sky, so didn’t pick it up until '99. Followed pretty religiously WWF/WCW until I got into ROH/GAEA/NJPW in the early 2000’s, but I am very on/off with it now.

I got really into ChocoPro for a while, but got sick of being able to predict every match constantly.