The Riffed: What Do They Think of MST3K?

40% sold separately.

9 Likes

oh wow, it really is all the leads! i seem to remember the brains alluding to the actor who played JK being pretty unhappy at the time. i’m weirdly relieved that they’re all reconciled.

3 Likes

Rae Dawn Chong didn’t see City Limits until it was riffed on MST3K (despite being in the movie). From what I’ve heard, she really enjoyed the episode.

7 Likes

I’ve seen a couple of clips of Miles as a guest on Joe Bob’s Drive In Theater on Daily Mail Girl’s Patreon page and he doesn’t hold back on his embarrassment towards Tarzan The Ape Man.

5 Likes

Yeah, there is a video on YouTube that followed the cast from Vermont to the show. Here it is.

10 Likes

The lead lead looks like he grew up to be Possum Lodge’s own Mike Hamar.

2 Likes

Yeah, I believe that Miles O’Keefe invited them to “come out west and party” with him. Gracious guy.

Walter “Puma Man” Alton seemed annoyed by certain jokes they made, but overall he seemed all right with it. He did do the Shout Factory interview, after all. Where at the end he does that cheesy “phase out” bit on his way back to his law office.

Eddie Deezen likened being riffed to being in a celebrity roast, when he was interviewed by the MST3K Revival League several years back.

7 Likes

that’s a very healthy attitude. good ol’ Eddie Deezen!

7 Likes

btw, thanks for your contributions, everybody! very interesting!

5 Likes

Russell Johnson himself also was at a ConventioCon, the second one.

6 Likes

according to my research, Robert Vaughn also appeared on Turkey Day '94. for being such a good sport, i’ll plug his movie C.H.U.D. II: Bud the Chud. his scenes are pretty funny.

6 Likes

Man… I would have died laughing if Archie said, “sorry ‘bout m’face!” Even if he just brought it up to point out how mean it was.

But, seriously, I enjoyed watching that a lot. Thank you!

4 Likes

Arch personalizing Joel’s autograph “sorry about your face” made me laugh out loud. what a legend.

8 Likes

For real. There’s a reason why people in the music industry think it’s a huge benefit when Weird Al chooses to do one of their songs. It almost guarantees that the song is going to be a hit, and remembered for a long time if he does.

Can’t remember the exact story, but I believe the rapper who did Ridin’ Dirty was ecstatic when Weird Al said he wanted to do White and Nerdy.

The same is true for MST3K for relatively obscure, old films. If the guys do an old movie, it’s an homage to the movie, and the audience will enjoy the movie in a way that it was never enjoyed before. The actors will find that they’re suddenly known again. That’s especially true for the B films. Look at what happened to Samurai Cop. They had no intention of doing a second movie, but Rifftrax made that possible.

I would think that anyone in the movie industry would think it is a major benefit to have their movie riffed.

9 Likes

Mamie Van Doren retweeted the Mads promoting their livestream of The Beach Girls and the Monster (gigantor notwithstanding, she played a beach girl and not a monster) so I’m guessing she’s cool with Girls Town.

7 Likes

incredible. i’m starstruck just hearing about it, i can’t imagine how Trace and Frank felt!

4 Likes

Mamie Van Doren and Adam West helped host the Turkey Day '94 MST3K marathon.

9 Likes

No way!!! I’d have been 11 in 94, so I’m guessing I didn’t yet know who she was. That makes me love her even more.

4 Likes

Found it. Adam West hosted. Beverly Garland dropped by to help introduce her movie. And Mamie Van Doren starts at 14 minutes in to introduce Girls Town.

12 Likes

That makes me love Adam West so much. He’s so cool… and he didn’t used to hold that spot in my noggin. I’m ashamed to admit that I assumed he was a narcissistic blowhard. I’m sorry spirit of Westman! Forgive me!

8 Likes