The Riffs You Missed

Some people listen to music during the day, I listen to episodes of MST3K. Yesterday while listening to Reptilicus I heard this gem I can’t believe I missed the other times I watched it! “I cast magic missile! I’m attacking the darkness!” All I can say is, “Where are the Cheetos?!”

What riffs have you missed that only jumped out at you after a few viewings?

5 Likes

Loren Alan Davis on YouTube has re-posted many beloved shorts with spruced-up color and sound. In The Chicken Of Tomorrow, Tom mumbles about the paper-thin bird slices, “Could fit that in your wallet.” I never caught that brilliant morsel until Davis’ re-do was posted a week or so ago. (Even though I’ve watched the short a billion times.)

2 Likes

Oh dang. I just learned Dan Harmon wrote that D&D sketch.

1 Like

I didn’t recognize from “Catching Trouble” the riff about Ross playing Lil’ Abner until my sister appeared in the play in High School (she played the secretary of the villain).

2 Likes

One for me was in Cry Wilderness, when they’re going through the wild animal stock footage and get to the skunk and Tom says “I am not a sexual predator but simply a reflection of my era.” I didn’t realize until a couple weeks ago that 1) it’s a skunk, not a badger and 2) the riff is a reference to Pepe Le Pew lol

3 Likes

A lot of times, they’ll say the dirtiest jokes quietly and quickly, I assume so kids or the networks miss them. Because of that, sometimes it takes me a lot of viewings before I catch it. One I just recently noticed is in Is This Love? when the girl who just got engaged is telling her “older” roommate about it. She lies on her bed and stretches her hands over her head. Mike says very quietly " . . . get the cuffs."

3 Likes

Okay another one, also from Cry Wilderness: the riff when Paul is staring at the Big Foot display and Crow says “Yes, CDs are a bad investment, I hear and obey.” I thought he was talking about literal CD-ROMs. Took me too long realize it mean CD accounts :sweat_smile:

3 Likes