The Rock & Roll Hall of Fame

Pat Benatar not being in yet shows just how messed up the R&R Hall Of Fame is.

2 Likes

She’s nominated this year, and was last year too. But they only included Neil Giraldo as a member of her band and snubbed the others, which I thought was wrong. Her early 80s band was tight.

2 Likes

Good point, I am sure his music was an early influence. It would be nice if they would note which category they are being nominated for, but I only read the CNN article, so maybe the HoF does note that, and it did not make it into the article.

1 Like

The ones on this list (and on the CNN list) are for the main category.

There are also: early influences, the “musical excellence” award, and the Ahmet Ertegun award for non-performers. We often don’t find out who wins those until after the awards are given. I have my nominees for all of those, too. (Though I think non-performers should be expanded way beyond the Ertegun award.)

1 Like

My nominees, F-L.

Fairport Convention - Sandy Denny, Ashley Hutchings, Martin Lamble, Dave Mattacks, Iain Matthews, Simon Nicol, Dave Pegg, Dave Swarbrick, Richard Thompson

Foreigner - Dennis Elliott, Ed Gagliardi, Lou Gramm, Al Greenwood, Mick Jones, Ian McDonald, Rick Wills

Peter Frampton

Fugazi - Brendan Canty, Joe Lally, Ian MacKaye, Guy Picciotto

Gerry & The Pacemakers - Les Chadwick, Les Maguire, Freddie Marsden, Gerry Marsden

Golden Earring - Rinus Gerritsen, Barry Hay, George Kooymans, Cesar Zuiderwijk

Alexander Gradsky

The Guess Who - Randy Bachman, Burton Cummings, Jim Kale, Garry Peterson, Kurt Winter

Johnny Hallyday

Herbie Hancock

PJ Harvey

The Human League - Ian Burden, Jo Callis, Joanne Catherall, Ian Craig Marsh, Philip Oakey, Jim Russell, Susan Ann Sulley, Martyn Ware, Philip Adrian Wright

Hüsker Dü - Grant Hart, Bob Mould, Greg Norton

Ice-T

Billy Idol

INXS - Garry Gary Beers, Andrew Farriss, Jon Farriss, Tim Farriss, Michael Hutchence, Kirk Pengilly

Iron Maiden - Clive Burr, Paul Di’Anno, Bruce Dickinson, Janick Gers, Steve Harris, Nicko McBrain, Dave Murray, Adrian Smith

J. Geils Band - Stephen Bladd, J. Geils, Seth Justman, Danny Klein, “Magic Dick” Salwitz, Peter Wolf

Joe Jackson

The Jam - Rick Buckler, Bruce Foxton, Paul Weller

Tommy James & The Shondells - Eddie Gray, Tommy James, Peter Lucia, Ron Rosman, Mike Vale

Jane’s Addiction - Eric Avery, Perry Farrell, Dave Navarro, Stephen Perkins

Jefferson Starship - Marty Balin, John Barbata, Craig Chaquico, David Freiberg, Paul Kantner, Pete Sears, Grace Slick, Mickey Thomas

The Jesus and Mary Chain - Bobby Gillespie, Douglas Hart, Jim Reid, William Reid

Jethro Tull - Ian Anderson, Barriemore Barlow, Martin Barre, Clive Bunker, Glenn Cornick, John Evan, John Glascock, Jeffrey Hammond, Dave Pegg

Howard Jones

Tom Jones

Joy Divison/New Order - Ian Curtis, Gillian Gilbert, Peter Hook, Stephen Morris, Bernard Sumner

Judas Priest - K.K. Downing, Rob Halford, Ian Hill, Dave Holland, Glenn Tipton, Scott Travis

Kansas - Phil Ehart, Billy Greer, Dave Hope, Kerry Livgren, Robby Steinhardt, Steve Walsh, Rich Williams

Carol Kaye

KC & The Sunshine Band - Harry Wayne Casey, Richard Finch, Robert Johnson, Jerome Smith

Chaka Khan

King Crimson - Adrian Belew, Bill Bruford, Mel Collins, Robert Fripp, Michael Giles, Greg Lake, Tony Levin, Ian McDonald, Peter Sinfield, Ian Wallace, John Wetton

Patti LaBelle

Cyndi Lauper

Huey Lewis & The News - Mario Cipollina, Johnny Colla, Bill Gibson, Chris Hayes, Sean Hopper, Huey Lewis

Gordon Lightfoot

Los Lobos - Steve Berlin, David Hidalgo, Conrad Lozano, Louie Pérez, Cesar Rosas

Love - Johnny Echols, Ken Forssi, Arthur Lee, Bryan MacLean, Alban Pfisterer, Michael Stuart-Ware

Nick Lowe

2 Likes

Not to get into a semantic debate like I already have elsewhere and having no opinion on who gets in or why, I just have to say: It’s not really a “rock ‘n’ roll” museum, it’s a “post-1955-popular-music” museum.

Actual rock ‘n’ roll lasted from 1955-1958, with a brief resurgence from 1960-1961[1] (though N.B., a lot of the people who created and listened to the first wave hated that second “twist”-heavy wave). It was a direct reaction to the highly polished, over-produced big band stuff that dominated after the war, and for what to today’s ears sounds like anodyne stuff was perceived by its audiences and its detractors as rebellion.

N.B. many of its detractors were from the Jazz[2] age, raccoon-coat-wearin’, goldfish-swallowing sheiks and their underwear-less flapper gals, who were shocking their reprobate Gay Nineties parents.

That said, I think you’re basically right: This has next-to-nothing to do with worthiness. It is a combination stimulus project for downtown Cleveland, and a media event for an increasingly graying population that still thinks “rock ‘n’ roll” sounds rebellious.

But, hey, that’s just my opinion. I could be wrong.

[1] Harvard Dictionary of Music, definition of “rock ‘n’ roll”

[2] “Jazz” underwent an even more severe transmogrification, I think than “rock ‘n’ roll”, becoming first a stand-in for “popular music” and evolving into something almost unrecognizable from either its popular roots or origins.

1 Like

The fact that the Hall often admits people who are not usually thought of as “rock” acts doesn’t bother me as much as the fact that they do it inconsistently. If you’re going to admit Hank Williams and Johnny Cash, aren’t there about a hundred other country superstars that should be in there too?

As for hip-hop, I’m kind of surprised that they are OK with being considered a subset of rock & roll at this point. It was one thing for Run-DMC to call themselves “Kings of Rock” back when hip-hop was too new to even be called a real genre yet, but now… I would think they’d prefer their own HOF rather than being in there with Depeche Mode and Yes.

But, I go with the flow with my choices. I might not include any rappers who date from after the point where hip-hop passed rock as the most popular form of music (early 2000s). And I wouldn’t admit any country or jazz musicians who didn’t have some palpable influence on rock.

2 Likes

This is why you’re not on the Cleveland Chamber of Commerce.

No, I’m sure of it. it’s the only possible reason.

1 Like

I’ve been to the Hall of Fame a couple times (mostly to see U2 3D), but I’m not going back until they induct the Monkees.

Don’t even @ me with that “bubblegum” BS!

2 Likes

And INXS. It’s been 25 years since Hutchence died and they’re still not in.

1 Like

I see your Monkees and raise you Rutles.

5 Likes

If I had to pick the one single most outrageous snub so far, it would probably be Cliff Richard and the Shadows.

1 Like

M-R…

Madness - Mike Barson, Mark Bedford, Chris Foreman, Graham “Suggs” McPherson, Chas Smash, Lee Thompson, Dan Woodgate

Manfred Mann/Manfred Mann’s Earth Band - Jack Bruce, Mike d’Abo, Mike Hugg, Paul Jones, John Lingwood, Manfred Mann, Tom McGuinness, Colin Pattenden, Mick Rogers, Chris Slade, Chris Thompson, Mike Vickers, Klaus Voormann, Steve Waller

Massive Attack - Robert “3D” Del Naja, Grant “Daddy G” Marshall, Adrian “Tricky” Thaws, Andrew “Mushroom” Vowles

Johnny Mathis

John Mayall

The MC5 - Michael Davis, Wayne Kramer, Fred “Sonic” Smith, Dennis Thompson, Rob Tyner

Meat Loaf

Megadeth - David Ellefson, Dave Mustaine

The Meters - Ziggy Modeliste, Art Neville, Cyril Neville, Leo Nocentelli, George Porter Jr.

George Michael

Ministry - Al Jourgensen

Eddy Mitchell

Moby

The Monkees - Mickey Dolenz, Davy Jones, Michael Nesmith, Peter Tork

Mötley Crüe - Tommy Lee, Mick Mars, Vince Neil, Nikki Sixx

Motörhead - Michael Burston, Phil Campbell, “Fast Eddie” Clarke, Lemmy Kilmister, Phil Taylor

Mr. Children - Keisuke Nakagawa, Kazutoshi Sakurai, Hideya Suzuki, Kenichi Tahara

Nas

Willie Nelson

New York Dolls - David Johansen, Arthur Kane, Jerry Nolan, Sylvain Sylvain, Johnny Thunders

Olivia Newton-John

Harry Nilsson

Oasis - Gem Archer, Paul Arthurs, Andy Bell, Liam Gallagher, Noel Gallagher, Tony McCarroll, Paul McGuigan, Alan White

Ozzy Osbourne

OutKast - André “3000” Benjamin, Antwan “Big Boi” Patton

Pantera - “Dimebag Darrell” Abbott, Vinnie Paul Abbott, Phil Anselmo, Rex Brown, Terry Glaze

Graham Parker

Gram Parsons

Dolly Parton

Pavement - Mark Ibold, Scott Kannberg, Stephen Malkmus, Bob Nastanovich, Steve West

Pet Shop Boys - Chris Lowe, Neil Tennant

Phish - Trey Anastasio, Jon Fishman, Mike Gordon, Page McConnell

Pixies - Black Francis, Kim Deal, Dave Lovering, Joey Santiago

The Pogues - Philip Chevron, James Fearnley, Jem Finer, Darryl Hunt, Shane MacGowan, Cait O’Riordan, Andrew Ranken, Spider Stacy, Terry Woods

The Pointer Sisters - Anita Pointer, Bonnie Pointer, June Pointer, Ruth Pointer

Iggy Pop

John Prine

The Prodigy - Keith Flint, Liam Howlett, Maxim Reality, Leeroy Thornhill

Rage Against The Machine - Tim Commerford, Zack de la Rocha, Tom Morello, Brad Wilk

REO Speedwagon - Kevin Cronin, Neal Doughty, Alan Gratzer, Bruce Hall, Mike Murphy, Gregg Philbin, Gary Richrath

The Replacements - Slim Dunlap, Chris Mars, Bob Stinson, Tommy Stinson, Paul Westerberg

Paul Revere & The Raiders - Joe Correro Jr., Drake Levin, Mark Lindsay, Paul Revere, Mike Smith, Freddy Weller

Cliff Richard & The Shadows - Brian Bennett, Jet Harris, Hank Marvin, Tony Meehan, Cliff Richard, John Rostill, Bruce Welch

Lionel Richie

Jonathan Richman

Kenny Rogers

Diana Ross

The Runaways - Vicki Blue, Cherie Currie, Lita Ford, Jackie Fox, Joan Jett, Sandy West

2 Likes

Wow, DUDE.
Have you been hijacking my playlist?
Because, wow, almost all of the listed are in my favorites.

1 Like

Rock is dead they say…

Long live rock!

2 Likes

Won’t get fooled again!

1 Like

Cause rock ‘n’ roll ain’t no riddle man
To me it makes good, good sense

1 Like

The message may not move me
Or mean a great deal to me
But, hey, it feels so groovy to say:
I dig rock ‘n’ roll music.

I love it! I met Noel Paul Stookey in Sun Valley in the late '80s, he was very gracious and even seemed a bit embarrassed, but like most such meetings it was just a brief hello. One of my buddies mentioned something about Puff, the Magic Dragon with a wink and a nod, which basically ended the encounter. It was pretty apparent even then that Paul was a bit tired of people who identified the song with drug use.

1 Like

John Lennon used to get irritated with the “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds” commentary, I mean obviously it’s LSD, right? And his son had just brought home a picture that he called “Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds”–and Lennon’s very compelling argument was something along the lines of (as he put it in a song) :notes:I’ve shown you everything, I’ve got nothing to hide :notes:.

Related, the actual Lucy did pass away, and even in articles discussing it, they gotta fall back on the LSD thing.