The Scrapped Movies of MST3K

So how many rejected MST3K riff subjects are we aware of? I know Child Bride was looked over, but scrapped because of the subject material.

7 Likes

It seems like Frank mentions this in his 25 Episodes … book, but I’ll need to figure out where it lives since I moved to double-check.

3 Likes

The Amazing Colossal Episode Guide talks about a few of these in Mary Jo Pehl’s “Whither Season Seven” write-up.

Among them are targets that ended up getting RiffTrax’d, like Mesa of Lost Women and Starship Invasions.

What sounded really cool? From Hell It Came, all for a guy lumbering about in a tree costume killing other characters in the movie.

10 Likes

I hear it’s nice in double-check this time of year.

4 Likes

I don’t know about that… you might want to…

2 Likes

I prefer double-slovak.

1 Like

Another few I thought of:

• MST3K had the Elvis Presley movie Charro! on tap for Season 4, but I think they lost the rights at the last minute and had to go with Fire Maidens from Outer Space as a replacement.

• The John Travolta/Lily Tomlin movie Moment by Moment almost ended up on the show, too, but they couldn’t finalize that.

• The Best Brains team WAS considering Master Ninja III to close out Season Six, but they went with Samson Vs. the Vampire Women as something of a parting gift for Frank Conniff.

7 Likes

I smell Music Licensing Nightmare on that one.

7 Likes

That sounds about right. I think it may have been the Film Ventures International cut of the movie and Team MST3K probably thought they had some wiggle room there, but alas, no.

3 Likes

I don’t think it would have worked too well for Mike to do III after Joel did I and II. It would have been jarring to me.

2 Likes

Not gonna lie, I’m morbidly curious as to what that installment would have thrown at us, but yeah, I’m okay with them not covering Master Ninja III for that reason.

2 Likes

The bots could teach Mike what they know about the series.

4 Likes

I feel that, but I’m all for TV episodes. I’m glad they went with El Santo and that we’ll get more next season, but I do with we could have gotten Master Ninja III.

4 Likes

I would love a Max Keller vocal mannerisms class host segment.

Who knows… maybe Season 14?

4 Likes

In The Amazing Colossal Episode Guide, they also said no to The Terror Of Tiny Town.

4 Likes

I believe I had read that Beyond The Bermuda Triangle was going to be used as #623, but rights issues replaced it with The Amazing Transparent Man

3 Likes

Interesting thing I noticed about the Tentative Season 4 list: The latter part of the list would be majorly reshuffled, with only The Beatniks staying put (and were going to do the Rocky Jones stuff back-to-back).

2 Likes

Here’s possibly a few more to add to the “might have been list”. This has not been verified:

Joel may have mentioned in an 1989 interview they wanted to do “Mars Needs Women” (this would have been on KTMA)

Before committing to using “This Island Earth” for the “MST 3K: The Movie” experiment, there may have been interest in trying to riff “World Without End” (which they did for their first live show in 1992. Here’s a link to a thread I have up on that: https://forums.mst3k.com/t/mst-alive-1992/16525

Mike mentioned they were looking at “Day of the Triffids” during a pre-Season 8 TV Guide article. He also mentioned in the Masked Reviewer interview they tried to get “Baffled” at some point.

“From Hell It Came” was supposedly passed over for “Deathstalker” due to rights problems.

Kevin Murphy mentioned “The Land Unknown” in an online chat during the Sci-Fi era as a movie they were gonna do back in season 8, but didn’t.

5 Likes

Good catch!

I think it would’ve been neat to have had Manhunt in Space and Crash of Moons back to back. We almost had that with the Master Ninja episodes and got to enjoy that with the Wizards of the Lost Kingdom movies.

4 Likes

Eh, I think it’s best to space out movies (or even TV shows made into “movies”) with same characters for a format like MST3K. Gives the writers a chance to refresh their brains and think up new jokes and such. Part of the reason I think they gave up the movie serials as shorts and stuck with the more “educational” ones in the later days, as doing the serials you could run into too many samey jokes (not counting running gags like the Ford Bebe one for “The Phantom Creeps”).

I mean, while nowadays streaming can lead to binging, imagine how tricky it would have been for the crew if they did, say, all 5 at the time Gamera movies one right after another.

4 Likes