The Silent Type

Slasher kilers who normally wear masks and who never speak a word. A beast or machine stalking whoever. Who rises to the top? Michael Myers, Jaws, Jason Voorhees, Leatherface, Ghostface when he’s not on the phone? What flavor is yours?

Not technically a slasher but the antagonist in Duel is pretty intense. Completely threatening without one word spoken! Love that movie so much…

5 Likes

It qualifies. It is a Silent Type. No speech yet plenty of noises. Spectacular choice. One I’ve never forgotten.

That damn chauffeur in Burnt Offerings.

2 Likes

Followed up a bit later by another ultimate silent type… Jaws.

2 Likes

I gotta go with the classic here: Death.

grim reaper death GIF

5 Likes

I think Leatherface gets some points due to The Texas Chain Saw Massacre being a pro-vegetarian allegory told from the point of view of the cattle. They treat us as objects, eat us, and wear our skin. There is no “why” that is comprehensible to the cattle, but there is a “why.” There’s more there than just an antagonist who’s nothing more than a force of nature.

2 Likes

Harpo Marx: Destroyer of Worlds

Actually, in Groucho’s autobiography he jokes that they never allowed Harpo to speak in public, because every time they did, something disastrous would happen. At least, I thought he was joking, until I saw this photo of Harpo hitting on Amelia Earhart. :thinking: :flushed: :worried:

10 Likes

‘The Thing’.
because it can be any of those things, all of those things, or none of them…

2 Likes

I will die on this cross.

Edit: I guess it gives off a god-awful howl as it’s doing its… everything. So does that count as silent?

1 Like

No, don’t do that. Every time someone dies on a cross we get one of these guys.
golgothan
I don’t recall him talking but he appears to be in this GIF so I guess he doesn’t qualify.

1 Like

Can TV shows play?

The Weeping Angels, at least the original incarnation of Moffat’s before all of the recent … ahem … retconning.

8 Likes

2 Likes

I’m just sayin’

Hear me out here…
I’m just sayin’ that very… VERY… rarely does the person turning out to actually be ‘John Carpenter’s The Thing’ a better option. There’s seldom a moment where you’re like “Whew. I THOUGHT It was Dracula, but it actually just turned out to be… The Thing”

1 Like

Well, I never really trusted the drones, Huey, Duey, or Louie, in Silent Running…

2 Likes

You’re not wrong. But John Carpenter’s The Thing is very chatty (unlike Christian Nyby’s The Thing).

2 Likes

How about the archetype of this character, courtesy of Mr. Poe …

3 Likes

Is it just me or does this statue look like a more humanized version of Mark Zuckerberg?

5 Likes

At least for one film, Prince of Darkness, Christopher Lee’s Dracula doesn’t speak a line of dialog.

5 Likes

So they cheated at cards. Does that make them completely untrustworthy?

3 Likes