The Story Behind Your Onscreen or Real Name

No need to share what it is. Your name. Online or in real life. Screen name? First, last, or middle? Is there a story behind it? Are you proud or not so keen? How is it a part of you or is it just a name? What’s the rest of the story?

4 Likes

This seems overly intrusive to me.

People don’t have to reveal their full IRL names if they don’t want to.

I meant the story not the name itself. I was named as my name appears Bruce Lee Pullen. And I can tell you it wasn’t easy. I’ve grown to love Bruce Lee though the process and evolution helped define who I am. My parents had no clue who Bruce Lee was when they chose the name. That’s what I’m asking the story behind the name if there is one NOT the name. We all have a tale behind us. That’s what I’m asking.

5 Likes

Clang. I try to be who I am online the same as I am in person. I ask things no different in either case. There was nothing wrong in asking if your name ever bothered you or was a source of strength? And that’s all I asked. For me, it’s a piece of my history and here I am sharing it. One has every right to ignore this thread and most probably will. So be it. I’m used to it. The thought occurred to me I have a past with “Bruce Lee” and I wondered if anyone else had a similar experience. That’s all it was. Thanks.

3 Likes

Could also always go to this topic from a few months back. :slight_smile:

10 Likes

i’m named after my badass great-grandmother who raised 3 kids on her own during the great depression. and she was an immigrant. i hope i have some of that badassness in me somewhere!

3 Likes

My parents were Southern Baptists, and my first and middle names are both taken from Jesus’ disciples. I am not sure if my parents regretted using Doubting Thomas as one of those names, given that I have been an atheist since my mid 20s.

1 Like

I’m told my first name from the Danny Kaye movie Merry Andrew, which my mother saw when she was pregnant with me and liked the name.

I’ve never seen the movie. I probably should.

2 Likes

It wasn’t the original intent of the thread. Screen names were added as an option after Clang’s concern. In answering his worries, I stepped into your domain. Apologies.

1 Like

IRL
In Real Life?

Yep. Anyway, the OP went back and edited so the questions sounded much less pushy. So no harm, no foul.

1 Like

There was/is an existing thread for the same topic.

Wherein we run into the problems that cropped up with forums in the early 2000s. After a certain mileage, the backlog of posts goes wholly ignored.

2 Likes

Except it wasn’t overlapping until I had to alter it. The original topic of theirs isn’t where I was going. So it wasn’t initially and still isn’t exactly “the same topic.” People have sensitivities that in my naivete I never thought would be a problem. Perceived pushiness when none existed forced my hand to include screen names as a means not to seem so on the nose.

Final Justice

2 Likes

i took my name from a Man Or Astroman? song that inspired me during a dark time in my life.

2 Likes

My name is my old gamer tag. I adopted it to use across forums. Got killed a lot in the Halo’s from the mid-aughts if you care to look it up. :rofl::rofl:

1 Like

My irl name is adapted from an obscure one in the Old Testament (so, ie, NOT “Rachel”, “Ruth”, “Sarah” etc) Someone suggested it to my parents and they changed the spelling to make it have a softer sound. When I was a child I used to dislike it cuz I didn’t think it was cool, and teachers and others would always always always mess up the pronunciation. Still do. But now I feel like I’ve really grown into the name — not just in that I like it now, but I also feel like it fits my unique individuality and I can’t imagine myself going by any other moniker. (Actually that partly includes my last name too. If I ever get married I don’t think I could stand to change my surname, unless my fiance had a reeeeeeally cool one lol)

3 Likes

It’s basically a nickname for my actual name; Sabrina. There’s really not much more to it other than that.

2 Likes

My mom saw It’s a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World in a drive-in when she was 8 months pregnant with me. So I’m lucky I’m not named Ethel Sid Milton Spencer Buddy Longtorso.

My dad said she laughed so hard when Jimmy Durante literally kicked the bucket, he was afraid she might deliver me right in the front passenger seat.

4 Likes

If my father had ever been online, it is likely he would have chosen this screenname. Or something to do with rabbits.

2 Likes