The Trailers and the Movies They Advertise

The Trailers and the Movies They Advertise. Ever watch a trailer then walk into a theater to a completely different experience? What are your disconnects between the advertising and the movie itself?

1 Like

The Austin Powers trailer made the movie look horrendous and did not adequately prepare me for the absolute belly laughs that movie inflicted on me. To this day I still wonder what ad agency was responsible for cocking that up.

2 Likes

Fight Club was sold as an action movie in the trailer. What a bizarre lie.

3 Likes

A Meg Ryan romance meets Monster Movie? No. It’s Red Eye (2005).

1 Like

I toyed with going to see this yesterday (one show only!) but it’s an Asylum picture. I admire the trailer, however, because it makes it look like an FX-laden spectacular! But they probably took every single CGI shot in the movie and stuffed it in two minutes.

2 Likes

Lost in Translation (2003) as a straight-up romantic comedy? How did I miss that?

2 Likes

Drive (2011). A full-out action movie? A woman allegedly sued over this.

Kangaroo Jack is a big one.

2 Likes

Here it is. I second that. THIS and the movie are totally different.

1 Like

She is Kim Cattrall to my Crow T Robot.

mean girls Regina George is Flawless GIF

Who knew this would end up being a horror comedy that inspired Kevin Williamson while he wrote, Scream?

1 Like

No levity in this whatsoever. Unlike the movie.

Absolute 80s horror marketing with maybe a touch of future Tim Burton in the music and optics?

The art of cutting Trailers appears to be a lost skill.
With the exception of Marvel who clearly have people working with full knowledge of what they are doing (in order to build excitement while using edited scenes to obscure details) most companies seem to just hand footage to teams with little knowledge of the production creating trailers that just give away too much, don’t sell the actual movie or worst just mess stuff up.

The first Ghostbusters Answer the Call trailer is a great example of a studio not caring.
“30 YEARS AGO FOUR SCIENTISTS SAVED NEW YORK…” cut to Firehouse.

1. 30 years? Ghostbusters 1984, GB:ATC 2016. 32 years.
  2. Four Scientists? Dr. Venkman, Dr. Stantz, Dr. Spengler… The Video Game makes reference to Winston getting a doctorate at some point after the events of the movies, but I doubt that was being considered. The character was developed with a military past not academia.
  3. The fact the start of the trailer sits heavy on the nostalgia, that this movie (as a complete reboot) doesn’t, is lazy at worst or deceptive at best.

And I say this as someone that did enjoy GB:ATC for what it was.
(if you are a GB fan and you haven’t done yourself the pleasure of reading the Main IDW comics, go read them. They do a great job of setting a GB Multiverse that explains how the OG movies games and such work, as well as interacting with the “Real GBs”, “Extreme GBs” and the ATC team.) Oh yhea there are turtles and transformers there too.

1 Like

Paramount had to lure them back after the Jason less previous one.

1 Like

Friday the 13th Part V: New Beginnings and Halloween III: Season of the Witch show that what horror moviegoers really want is…more of the same.

1 Like

H3 is better and this is coming from an F13 fanboy. New Beginning is at least enjoyably bad with how insane (no pun intended) it gets at times with characters like Ethel. Part 8 (Agent From HARM!) and 9 are just boring.

2 Likes

Still waiting for this version of this movie:

2 Likes

Advertising material sold Man of the Year as a silly comedy where Robin Williams plays a comedic talk show host who gets up to wacky hijinx after winning the US Presidential election, and the movie is… not that at all.

2 Likes

It originally started out as that when Hugh Jackman was supposed to be the lead and it was at Universal.

1 Like