The Unstoppable Poll

Going by the title, which of these MST3K-featured threats is the most unstoppable, with not even death standing in their way?

• The Brain That Wouldn’t Die
  • The Thing That Couldn’t Die
  • The Indestructible Man
  • The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living And Became Mixed-Up Zombies
  • The Undead

0 voters

2 Likes

I voted for the The Thing That Couldn’t Die.

For one thing, wouldn’t implies that a change could be made eventually, leading to a brain that would die. And I feel the zombies would just get themselves all mixed up.

For another, Gideon Drew didn’t even need his body to take over people’s wills. It’s like Medusa’s head, so maybe a mirror could stop him? Or it could make him more powerful. Hmm.

I don’t remember The Indestructible Man enough to have an opinion.

3 Likes

The Incredible Melting Man ought to be on the list too, methinks. If only because it sounds like the other titles, lol!

2 Likes

I voted for Jan in the Pan, but now that I think of it, there was a fire at the end that would certainly disrupt her neck juice pump. I need to think more (and I need to think less).

Wait, she did survive that fire. We see her again later. My vote stays with her.

2 Likes

I thought about that too. All the titles imply unkill-ability, yet all of them end up dead except for Jan. So she likely wins on that count.

1 Like

I guess the Undead, as that doesn’t feature any actual undead, but rather the Devil himself, along with time travel via hypnosis, or something? I still don’t quite understand what was going on at the end of that movie.

2 Likes

Based on title alone, I picked Brain That Wouldn’t Die as “wouldn’t” may imply that they should be dead but are refusing through sheer force of will, which is terrifying. I know that’s not what the movie’s about, but I always thought the title didn’t really match the movie very well

2 Likes

If you view time as being linear, I suppose Quintus Ratcliff (the hypnoshrink) is technically immortal, though caught in time loop, as he eventually dies in the past, is born in the present, then is sent to the past to do it all again.

1 Like

It’s amazing how 59% of you can be so wrong!!111elevens

Wow, now it’s 67%.

1 Like

It’s a TRIUMPH! of the HUMAN SPIRIT! as Frank might say.

2 Likes

I picked The Undead. Now, hear me out!

The Brain that Wouldn’t Die? Sorry, but even though Mary Jo does an admirable turn as Jan in the Pan after the movie is over, the only thing Jan wanted was to die and the assumption is that she did.

The Thing that Wouldn’t Die? Died at the end of the movie.

The Indestructible Man? Destructible. He dies. For the second time.

The Incredibly Strange Creatures Who Stopped Living and Became Mixed-Up Zombies? The whole thing is that they stopped living… although they really didn’t. But the ones who got shot by the cops at the end? Died.

So now, we come to The Undead. The key here is to decide just who is being referred to. Of course you would think that it’s the main characters because why would they name the movie for someone else? Well, none of the main characters are undead. They’re all very much alive…until they’re not, but then, they’re just dead. However, there’s a group of women who climb out of their graves and do a lovely little dance for Satan and then go back to their graves. They are undead! And they are indeed undead and they remain that way.

Thus, for the purposes of this poll, the only title that is accurate is this one.

Now, I expect you all to go back and change your votes accordingly. Thank you.

7 Likes

Strong points, to be sure.

But to be undead, you had to die once already, no?

Check.

Mate.

4 Likes

Dead, but still unstoppable still works for the poll.
I’m so confused now. I need to rewatch all those movies.

3 Likes

It’s charming that you think re-watching will reduce confusion.

7 Likes

Thing that Couldn’t Die is one of my all time favorites. Mst doesn’t get any funnier than when the big dumb guy is carrying around the head!

4 Likes

“Uh, let’s see, he glued his knife upright on a coffee table and fell on it… no. We were carving soap into figurines and he tripped… no. We were stabbing each other and he died… yeah that’s it, that’s the one.”

4 Likes

In a conversation with Quintus, it’s strongly implied that he’s not the Devil per se, just that he uses a form that the people will recognize. This may indicate that he’s really Nyarlathotep, who runs a similar scheme in The Dreams in the Witch House. Further supporting this line of thought is how Corman is something of a Lovecraft fanboy.

3 Likes

I’m very very disappointed in you all. Not a single vote change that I can see. Ten lashes with a wet noodle for all of you.

3 Likes

The Indestructible Man, while indeed destructible, seems a bit more durable and resilient than his rivals here. I give him the vote.

2 Likes

I refuse to vote for anything named “Indestructible” on general principles — but mainly because of Benny Hill.

Capt. Scuttle: …In this, Indestructible II!
Henry McGee: What happened to Indestructible I?
Capt. Scuttle: It fell apart.

1 Like