The wish squisher

Watching SCCTM for my Xmas joy, and I’m reminded of terrible Xmases past, when you get something awful or mundane instead of the gift you asked for.

For me, I asked for the same gift every year from the age of 7 to 14 (yes, eight years in a row) and never got it. For those of you old enough to remember pull string toys, it was a talking lion.

Truth to tell, I didn’t even want it anymore by the end there, it was just a way to see if my family was paying any attention.

The year I got a sewing basket instead was definitely the worse.

To top it off, my mom gave one to a friend’s kid when they were leaving the country. But never to me.

In what way did your family disappoint YOU on Christmas?

7 Likes

It wasn’t all that disappointing because it was so random, but I do recall the year my mom was proud of how she had found for me a wall calendar featuring big beautiful photos of Albert Schweitzer and highlights of his career—which must have been quite a feat, since it was in the pre-internet days. I could tell she was a little taken aback by my reaction along the lines of “Huh … oh … ummmm, thank you.” as I gave it a polite flip-through before setting it aside.

I was a science nerd. Different Albert, mom.

5 Likes

I asked for the Apollo 13 soundtrack in '95, which I got. However, it was a CD and I didn’t have a CD player, only a Walkman. So, I had to disappoint Grandma asking for the receipt to exchange it for basically the same thing. Kids and their technology…

2 Likes

My parents always went above and beyond their means in buying Christmas gifts for my brother and me. They were both social workers and not rich, but we almost always got what we wanted.

5 Likes

Albert Falls!

… I’ll get me coat.

2 Likes

On the flip side of that, my Mom one year got me the Pat Boone In a Metal Mood cd as a gag gift and was shocked that I was all excited about for reals.

3 Likes

I was always disappointed because my mother would never get things from my list, only things that she wanted. Heh. My dad said she’d also hear me say something in passing in June and buy that.

My biggest disappointment actually came from gift giving, when I went out of my way to get items that I really thought my friends and family would like and got universally "meh"ed. :laughing:

2 Likes

Despite the assertion made on SNL, Chanukkah is absolutely the superior holiday from a gift-receiving perspective. I only remember getting really good presents. If there were a few bad ones, they left no enduring impression because when gifts are trickled out over a whole week, there’s always one more day where you might get your heart’s desire. : )

There was a gorgeous frosted green glass whale paperweight one year. The family knew I loved paperweights so I could always expect at least one. Last year I whittled my collection way down due to space issues. But many of these went to my brother to put in storage for when his kids are old enough to appreciate them. : )

3 Likes

I imagine savvy parents could also adjust their shopping throughout the week.

1 Like

Got two tales of Xmas woe, tied for the top slot.

Like the OP, I asked for the same thing for what felt like a lifetime’s worth of Decembers – an Apple ][+ . It never appeared and I eventually gave up on it. Then, one year, my parents proudly (and secretly, ahead of Xmas and only when my sibling wasn’t around) proclaimed that I was getting a computer. They… weren’t wrong. It ended up being a hand-me-down Tandy PC-8 from a recently deceased grandparent. In 1990; for sense of scale, Apple had already moved on with both the Apple IIGS and Macintosh, and the Intel 486 had been out for a year.

The other was several years later and not the pain of gift receiving but gift giving. There was a year when I couldn’t afford getting anything for anybody. That hurt.

4 Likes

I don’t remember ever being disappointed on Christmas, not because I always got everything I wanted, but because I always got something that I wanted. My parents weren’t wealthy and there were eight kids to buy presents for, but we always had presents and sometimes, I got things I hadn’t thought of but that were better than what I had asked for.

I never had the expectation that I had to have a particular present and I’ve always loved being able to see what people think about what I got for them as much as seeing what I got from them.

So I can’t think of any Christmas disappointments.

2 Likes

Eight crazy nights, and then Chinese for Christmas!

3 Likes

Chinese is for oldsters. Indian is what the cool cats do now. : D

1 Like

I extracted one of those as a belated birthday gift from my father. It was outrageously expensive (no less than $10K in modern funbucks) and he was pretty tight-fisted. But I think he saw the utility. Fair to say it literally shaped my life.

There’s a Ramona Quimby book in there somewhere.

4 Likes

I haven’t thought about those books in ages! I loved them when I was a kid. :slight_smile:

1 Like