The Wordle (& Friends) Thread: SPACE? MOVIE? ROBOT?

2 Likes

Hm… I can see 5…

… in a row.

2 Likes

You want pain? Consider COCOA.

2 Likes

Or MYRRH.

1 Like

Don’t try TORGO.

I know it doesn’t work. I know.

3 Likes

Disappointed Wordle won’t accept MST3K as a guess.

5 Likes

Now I’m EVEN MORE SAD that I deleted my Wordle history :wink:

Question: who plays on Hard Mode? Not me, I have two set starting words that cover five vowels and five of the most common consonants. It generally works really well but I couldn’t do that on Hard Mode.

3 Likes

Once the NYT Spelling Bee refused to accept that Muppets is a word and I was so offended. That is an insult to my religion, Gonzoism.

8 Likes

BOO-MINUS

That ain’t right. That ain’t right.

4 Likes

There’s a hard mode?

I’ve tried Spelling Bee a few times, but I’m not willing to pay the NYT for access, so I don’t get very far before I’m kicked off.

1 Like

I got gifted the NYT games section this year… like two weeks before Wordle became the new hotness :joy:

In Wordle Hard Mode, when you get a letter right, you HAVE to keep it. So if you started with SHAME and the last E was green, all your subsequent guesses must have E in the last spot. Or if you have right letter wrong spot, you have to play the letter somewhere else in all subsequent guesses. So my technique – I always start with TRAIN, then LOUSE – would not be allowed unless none of the letters in TRAIN were correct.

2 Likes

Wordle 385 3/6

:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::white_large_square:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square:

Almost got it first try.

1 Like

I don’t play it often, but usually try and eliminate as many vowels as possible early, by using either “audio” or “adieu” as the first guess.

1 Like

I lost the Wordle today, friends. :pensive:

1 Like

It took me all the tries. Had 4 of 5 after 3 and then it was a process of elimination battle.

2 Likes

That’s exactly where I failed it! I lost my last two guesses on STEAM and STEAK. :woman_facepalming:t2:

3 Likes

WHEW

Wordle 385 6/6

:yellow_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::yellow_square:

Trick I learned but didn’t try this time is after guess 3, I should have tried a word that used all (or as many as possible) of the possible letters for position 5. That would have used up guess 4, but it would have given me a better shot at getting in in 5 than just guessing. For example in this case I could have guessed MILKY at 4, and with none of those letters working, that would have left the (I think) only possible letter to guess next.

2 Likes

Wordle 385 4/6

:yellow_square::yellow_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:black_large_square::black_large_square::green_square::green_square::yellow_square:
:green_square::green_square::green_square::green_square::black_large_square:

TEARY, BLEAT, STEAK, solution

Currently on a 158 (100%) streak. I’ve always used that same opening word and one day it will get me a one (hopefully). I know it’s not the most optimal but I won’t get caught out by a tricksy ‘y’. Wordle is as much about strategy and knowing when to go defensive and “waste” a guess on a word you know is wrong but will eliminate letters is important.

Yeah, it forces you to stick with any letters you’ve already guessed. It isn’t a good idea to use it as eventually you’re bound to lose a game because of it.

Say your first guess is *UMPS with the last four letters being correct. Possible solutions for that are BUMPS, DUMPS, HUMPS, JUMPS, LUMPS, MUMPS, PUMPS, RUMPS and SUMPS. Now, some of those are plurals which the game doesn’t seem to use but leaving that aside for a moment there are more options there than there are available guesses. In hard mode that’s just luck whether you get it or not as you can’t eliminate multiple letters with one guess.

4 Likes

Wordle 386 4/6

:white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::white_large_square:
:yellow_square::white_large_square::white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square:
:white_large_square::yellow_square::white_large_square::green_square::yellow_square:

3 Likes

Wordle 386 4/6

:black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::black_large_square::yellow_square:
:black_large_square::green_square::yellow_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:
:yellow_square::green_square::green_square::black_large_square::black_large_square:

Phew! Got my game back. Today’s starter word was PLANE since I board one at 10:30 this morning.

3 Likes