The Worst Christmas Song (Mark II)

It just hit me that Stevie Wonder’s “I Wish” spends its whole first stanza singing about Christmas. Then it moves on to various childhood misdeeds…

:thinking: Misdeeds, as recounted by Santa’s Naughty list?

:frowning: OMG! “I Wish” is a Christmas song!! :sunglasses:

Can we have the title of this thread changed to BEST Christmas Song, please?! I have selected my winner!

2 Likes

That Will Smith song that sampled it is terrible, though. Just as terrible as the movie.

1 Like

To paraphrase a certain Scrooge, I have not heard (or seen) and I wish for the pleasure(s) to be indefinitely postponed. Thanks. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

1 Like

As a metalhead…I’ve always HATED Stryper’s “Winter Wonderland” :face_vomiting::face_vomiting::face_vomiting:

2 Likes

It’s quicker for me to list the Xmas songs I don’t hate - “Carol Of The Bells”, “Santa Dog”, and that “In Eggshells A Day Old” one. Everything else I’m sick of by the end of November thanks to supermarket tannoys.

3 Likes

Thanks to this post, Patton has cast my vote for me.

4 Likes

Submitted for your consideration:

3 Likes

I heard Bob Seger’s “Little Drummer Boy” out in the wild a few days ago and that was pretty cringeworthy. Certainly a worthy contender for the title of, “Who on earth asked for this?”

3 Likes

I was thinking, “You know who probably hasn’t made a Christmas song? Sigur Ros.” How wrong I was.

OMG, I heard this for the first time a few years ago and was blown away. I share your hatred of it. I think the reason it bothers me so much is because it’s so blatantly manipulative that it’s like a commercial hitting you over the head with its sappy message. It’s an ad masquerading as a song and I’m like GTFO you’re terrible.

2 Likes

I’m here to unconditionally defend Paul McCartney’s “Wonderful Christmastime”.

Also, I said as much elsewhere, but “Grandma Got Run Over by a Reindeer” is horrible to the point that it could be used in interrogations to make people crack in record time.

2 Likes

I’m with you on Wonderful Christmastime! Part of me genuinely loves it, and part of me loves it because it’s so bad that it’s good :christmas_tree:

2 Likes

So, I’m posting this song despite artist being one of my favorite musicians and this being a legitimately good song. Just actually thinking of this as a song playing on the Christmas channel makes me smile. :rofl:

1 Like

One Christmas when I was a nanny, we were decorating the tree, and the dad insisted on playing Alan Jackson’s Xmas album. Not only did it include the execrable ‘Please, Daddy, Don’t Get Drunk This Christmas’, but also such winners as ‘Honky Tonk Christmas’ and other dentist drill-type songs.

We all complained until I went and got my Nat King Cole album so we weren’t all cringing the entire time.

2 Likes

I’m the only person who thinks Grandma is funny, I guess. Possibly because it punctures so many of the gooey family-feeling songs it shares space with, but it’s not actually vulgar a la’ Red Peters.

See also its sequel: “Grandpa Got Run Over By A Beer Truck.”

3 Likes

I don’t hate it. I think it’s funny too, but I like the “New Kids” version better. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t hate it either.

3 Likes

I don’t know if I’m ready for this! :grimacing:

1 Like

Here you go!

1 Like

I wholeheartedly believe Paul needs to release a public apology for this song.

3 Likes