The Worst Director of All Time With More Than One Film

The nominees, based on responses to Top Ten Worst Directors along with a career low-light, are:

• Michael Bay (Armageddon)
  • William ā€œOne Shotā€ Beaudine (Billy the Kid vs. Dracula)
  • Jonathan Betuel (Theodore Rex)
  • Larry Buchanan (Attack of the Eye Creatures)
  • James Cameron (Piranha II: The Spawning)
  • Coleman Francis (Red Zone Cuba)
  • Bert I. Gordon (Beginning of the End)
  • Donald G. Jackson (Rollergator)
  • Brett Kelly (Jurassic Shark)
  • Stanley Kubrick (Eyes Wide Shut)
  • George Lucas (Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace)
  • Barry Mahon (Rocket Attack USA)
  • James Nguyen (Birdemic: Shock and Terror)
  • Charles B. Pierce (Boggy Creek II: And the Legend Continues)
  • Bill Rebane (Monster a Go-Go)
  • Ray Dennis Steckler (The Incredibly Strange Creature Which Stopped Living and Became Mixed Up Zombies)
  • Jerry Warren (The Wild World of Batwoman)
  • Edward D. Wood, Jr. (Bride of the Monster)
  • Will Zens (Truckerā€™s Woman)

0 voters

3 Likes

I donā€™t see Baz Luhrmann on this list. How he keeps getting movies made, and successful ones at that, is baffling to me. Iā€™ve seen multiple films of his unfortunately and theyā€™re all terrible. Absolutely horrible.

4 Likes

I could only include 20. Unfortunately, a lot of talent had to be left off.

3 Likes

I had to vote for my nominee, Jerry Warren. By the way, if you havenā€™t seen his movie ā€œThe Incredible Petrified Worldā€, it is another awful treat. A deep sea diving bell accident leaves four characters stranded in an undersea cave lit by algae, with plenty of air and ample wood for a fire. They also manage to bring their dry clothing into the cave. Hereā€™s a clip where we are introduced to a character I call Cave Torgo:

5 Likes

Neil Breen (Double Down) has made 5 movies.
Andrew Jordan (Things) has made two, with a third in post-production.
Michael Paul Girard (Over-sexed Rugsuckers from Mars) has made over 20!

3 Likes

If Discourse allowed, the list would be much longer than 20.

2 Likes

I wonder what happened to Jonathan Betuel? He directed My Science Project, which was pretty good, did a couple of TV episodes, then divebombed his career into the ground with Theodore Rex.

3 Likes

Oof! Theodore Rex is painfully bad. Whoopi Goldberg tried to back out of the movie, but the producers forced her to do it with threats of legal action.

4 Likes

Oh yeah, itā€™s astoundingly bad by every metric, and Beutel wrote, directed and produced the film, so itā€™s pretty much squarely on his shoulders. I have no idea how it got greenlit in the first place.

2 Likes

I havenā€™t seen all the movies referenced, so I had to go with what I know. And the director of Rollergator gets my vote. Such an awful, awful film. I would never watch it again, riffed or not.

9 Likes

So, Joe Estevez and the purple alligator puppet donā€™t save this one for you?

3 Likes

Iā€™ve gotta go with Coleman Francisā€¦

(I think I might be misunderstanding the question but over all Iā€™d say heā€™s got the worst filmsā€¦)

Some of these Iā€™m not really sure I can understand, like George Lucas ( I get the prequels have there problems, but that doesnā€™t necisarily mean every movie heā€™s made is badā€¦) Kubrick has some of the most admired films ever made, albiet he was very difficult to work withā€¦ And Piranha II was literally James Cameronā€™s first time directingā€¦He later went on to do stuff like Titanic, T2, Avatarā€¦movies that, regardless of how critics feel about them lacking any sort of substance, still are enjoyable filmsā€¦

5 Likes

I think you do understand the question. The nominations were from the Top Ten Worst Directors thread. Everyone didnā€™t have the same criteria, but I think the list represents those who posted.

1 Like

Re the Cameron thing, it is a little like calling Spielberg ā€˜the Columbo directorā€™ because that was his first major directing job (the first episode of Columbo).

3 Likes

or you could say John Williams was a horrible composer because he did the Score for Daddy-oā€¦

4 Likes

I agree. The poster mentioned Avatar, but Piranha II is on his resume.

2 Likes

I like the score to Daddy-O.

4 Likes

Gotta go with Coleman. Thereā€™s a fine line between bad and unwatchably bad, and Iā€™ve never seen Coleman anywhere but on the Unwatchable side of the line.

6 Likes

Not even a little tiny bit.

5 Likes

And Iā€™ll go right out and say it: I am charmed by James Nguyen. No, his movies are not ā€œgoodā€ by any definition, but heā€™s so dang sincere about them. Heā€™s a man who loves Hitchcock and was inspired to try to do what he did. He also apparently knows a thing or two about technology sales. He puts so much of himself into what he does. I can watch his movies sans riffing.

5 Likes