The Worst Director of All Time With More Than One Film

The nominees, based on responses to Top Ten Worst Directors along with a career low-light, are:

• Michael Bay (Armageddon)
  • William “One Shot” Beaudine (Billy the Kid vs. Dracula)
  • Jonathan Betuel (Theodore Rex)
  • Larry Buchanan (Attack of the Eye Creatures)
  • James Cameron (Piranha II: The Spawning)
  • Coleman Francis (Red Zone Cuba)
  • Bert I. Gordon (Beginning of the End)
  • Donald G. Jackson (Rollergator)
  • Brett Kelly (Jurassic Shark)
  • Stanley Kubrick (Eyes Wide Shut)
  • George Lucas (Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace)
  • Barry Mahon (Rocket Attack USA)
  • James Nguyen (Birdemic: Shock and Terror)
  • Charles B. Pierce (Boggy Creek II: And the Legend Continues)
  • Bill Rebane (Monster a Go-Go)
  • Ray Dennis Steckler (The Incredibly Strange Creature Which Stopped Living and Became Mixed Up Zombies)
  • Jerry Warren (The Wild World of Batwoman)
  • Edward D. Wood, Jr. (Bride of the Monster)
  • Will Zens (Trucker’s Woman)

0 voters

3 Likes

I don’t see Baz Luhrmann on this list. How he keeps getting movies made, and successful ones at that, is baffling to me. I’ve seen multiple films of his unfortunately and they’re all terrible. Absolutely horrible.

4 Likes

I could only include 20. Unfortunately, a lot of talent had to be left off.

3 Likes

I had to vote for my nominee, Jerry Warren. By the way, if you haven’t seen his movie “The Incredible Petrified World”, it is another awful treat. A deep sea diving bell accident leaves four characters stranded in an undersea cave lit by algae, with plenty of air and ample wood for a fire. They also manage to bring their dry clothing into the cave. Here’s a clip where we are introduced to a character I call Cave Torgo:

4 Likes

Neil Breen (Double Down) has made 5 movies.
Andrew Jordan (Things) has made two, with a third in post-production.
Michael Paul Girard (Over-sexed Rugsuckers from Mars) has made over 20!

3 Likes

If Discourse allowed, the list would be much longer than 20.

2 Likes

I wonder what happened to Jonathan Betuel? He directed My Science Project, which was pretty good, did a couple of TV episodes, then divebombed his career into the ground with Theodore Rex.

3 Likes

Oof! Theodore Rex is painfully bad. Whoopi Goldberg tried to back out of the movie, but the producers forced her to do it with threats of legal action.

3 Likes

Oh yeah, it’s astoundingly bad by every metric, and Beutel wrote, directed and produced the film, so it’s pretty much squarely on his shoulders. I have no idea how it got greenlit in the first place.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen all the movies referenced, so I had to go with what I know. And the director of Rollergator gets my vote. Such an awful, awful film. I would never watch it again, riffed or not.

7 Likes

So, Joe Estevez and the purple alligator puppet don’t save this one for you?

3 Likes

I’ve gotta go with Coleman Francis…

(I think I might be misunderstanding the question but over all I’d say he’s got the worst films…)

Some of these I’m not really sure I can understand, like George Lucas ( I get the prequels have there problems, but that doesn’t necisarily mean every movie he’s made is bad…) Kubrick has some of the most admired films ever made, albiet he was very difficult to work with… And Piranha II was literally James Cameron’s first time directing…He later went on to do stuff like Titanic, T2, Avatar…movies that, regardless of how critics feel about them lacking any sort of substance, still are enjoyable films…

4 Likes

I think you do understand the question. The nominations were from the Top Ten Worst Directors thread. Everyone didn’t have the same criteria, but I think the list represents those who posted.

1 Like

Re the Cameron thing, it is a little like calling Spielberg ‘the Columbo director’ because that was his first major directing job (the first episode of Columbo).

3 Likes

or you could say John Williams was a horrible composer because he did the Score for Daddy-o…

4 Likes

I agree. The poster mentioned Avatar, but Piranha II is on his resume.

2 Likes

I like the score to Daddy-O.

3 Likes

Gotta go with Coleman. There’s a fine line between bad and unwatchably bad, and I’ve never seen Coleman anywhere but on the Unwatchable side of the line.

5 Likes

Not even a little tiny bit.

5 Likes

And I’ll go right out and say it: I am charmed by James Nguyen. No, his movies are not “good” by any definition, but he’s so dang sincere about them. He’s a man who loves Hitchcock and was inspired to try to do what he did. He also apparently knows a thing or two about technology sales. He puts so much of himself into what he does. I can watch his movies sans riffing.

5 Likes