There’s a Robot Monster 3D Kickstarter happening

They’re doing a 4K restoration.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/3dfilmarchive/pre-order-robot-monster-on-3-d-blu-ray-and-dvd?ref=discovery&term=Robot%20monster

9 Likes

I’m down; when I was little, that’s one of my earliest memories of MST 3K. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you, Guidance Ro-Man! I’ve pledged now. It is part of The Plan.

3 Likes

Ya know, I’m really big into 3D, I have most of 3D Archive’s releases, but dear gods, that film is probably the worst use of 3d imaginable.

As in, why is this in 3D? There’s no depth to the blocking at all. There’s nothing to see except those damn bubbles.

(Yes, I have seen this in 3D. It wasn’t worth it)

2 Likes

I still get a kick out of the interjection on the DVD cover:

In Intriguing 2-D

Robot Monster DVD Cover

Not “3-D,” because that release wasn’t. And not, “Incredible!” or “Unbelievable!” (because those were already used on the cover), not “Amazing!” not, “Astonishing!” not “Astounding!” just… “Intriguing.” When “intriguing” is the third-best superlative that can be mustered for a movie media cover, you just know it’s got to be bad.

4 Likes

This looks like the perfect 1950’s date movie at the drive-in.

3 Likes

I must… but I cannot!

No. Seriously. I have a surprise tax bill and need to avoid all unnecessary expenses.

3 Likes

Just a couple hours left on this one. They’ve added some nice bonus 3D content over the course of the campaign as well.

2 Likes

I appreciate the bump on this thread. Easily my fave of this era.

3 Likes

The Discourse forums are so weird about what they show me. I don’t know why this one popped up all of a sudden when I had followed it from the start but:

I humbly submit Jurassic Park was the worst use of 3D imaginable. Why? Because of the way Spielberg blocked the shots (as he likes to) with framing items (posts, fences, etc.) the 3D actually put the framing items in the foreground and made them the focal points of the shot instead of what they were framing.

Had to explain to the kids that it was originally a better movie…

2 Likes

My physical copy is on its way! Very excited

1 Like

Now they are Kickstarting a 3D graphic novel.

Here.

1 Like

And former Alternaversal president/MST3K writer Harold Bucholz is writing a fumetti portion that is essentially riffing it.

2 Likes