This Odd House

Welp, that pretty much tells you everything you need to know.

5 Likes

They should be required by law to reveal why the price is so low.

Get it now before the sinkhole opens!

5 Likes

I staged our first house, and the realtor took and posted pictures of every room, including the storage area where I shoved all the extra crap. :woman_facepalming:t3:

6 Likes

Colorado’s claim to fame for weird houses: The Sleeper House

It overlooks I70 so everyone sees it driving past. Apparently, the house was half-built before the original owner ran out of money. Then Woody Allen used it for Sleeper because the interior was basically one big room.

The second owner ran out of money while trying to finish it. Then a third guy tried, and now it might be on its fourth owner, and no one has ever actually lived in the house.

It’s also on the National Registry of Historical Places, so good luck getting anything done now.

6 Likes

The Trapezium House in Petersburg, VA is built with no right angles.

Petersburg, VA - Trapezium House (roadsideamerica.com)

3 Likes

…it’s “trapezoid”.

1 Like

People always want to know about storage. I mean, who wants to stack all those plastic bins of carefully preserved Beanie Babies in the third bathroom for the next 25 years?

3 Likes

An excellent way to drive someone (ok me) slowly insane.

1 Like

Me going to look at a house and discovering it’s Historic:

Awkward Episode 2 GIF by The Office

3 Likes

New entrant:

Do you like knotty pine? Do you like low ceilings? Do you want to be mistaken for a lighthouse keeper? Then I’ve got the place for you!

Even the toilet lid is wood!

Corrugated steel is a challenging choice for a bathroom but they make it work.

Why yes I did save money on my kitchen reno at the restaurant bankruptcy auction, thanks for noticing

Hey just because you’re leaning hard into the log-cabin-urban-industrial-chic look doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy a nice overstuffed sofa with a large floral pattern like at grandma’s house

Oh thank god I was afraid there wouldn’t be a completely unsafe creepy staircase being watched over by a gargoyle

SO INTO WOOD I DON’T NEED A FLOOR

All this and 20 acres of central Minnesota forest can be yours for just $324,900.

5 Likes

“Hunters loge chic”

“Satanic rituals may have been performed at some point in the past on this property…”

1 Like

There were certainly some … shall we say interesting design choices made with this build.

The unrelieved wood everywhere, the kitchen with zero workspace, (I kinda like the gargoyle and hey they are protection demons, so he needs a good view of the stairs to do his job!).

Lovely land that it sits on though.

4 Likes

Missed opportunity to use, “Got wood?” as the headline for this listing… SMFH.

2 Likes

I love wood, but I prefer darker rather than blonde. And… maybe not quite as much. The plywood floors would need something, for sure.

But… I kind of like it, in a way?

It reminds me a little of Starwood, John Denver’s house in Colorado, which looked like it was designed more to get a pictorial in Architectural Digest than to actually be lived in by humans doing human things.

1 Like

there are some things I liked.

The clawfoot tub. Modern houses just don’t come with a soaking tub.

The loft with all of the windows for stargazing, and the second staircase up to the deck with the hammock.

The bedrooms in general looked spacious.

But man. It’s hard to escape all of that wood!

1 Like

It was on the market for a while, but sold earlier this year for $295K. I used to pass by it twice a day while commuting to a contract job in Chicago on the Metra line that runs across the street from the narrow end of the house, and it was quite odd how its appearance changed as one passed by.

3 Likes

Not terribly far away from the Pie House in Deerfield is the Onan (Gold) Pyramid House in Wadsworth, IL.

I put “Gold” in parenthesis since

1. Neighbors annoyed by sunlight reflecting off the 24K gold leaf that originally sheathed the building forced the owners to replace it with considerably more muted gold paint over a decade ago.
  2. The building was severely damaged by fire four years ago, and the most recent photos show the rebuilt or extensively renovated building covered in more conventional (and probably much cheaper and more fire- and weather-resistant) dark asphalt shingles.

I’ve seen this one while driving by, too, and it is completely out of place in its surroundings. The owners will also happily sell you bottled “Gold Pyramid” water and vodka.

2 Likes

What neighbors?

1 Like

Probably the ones to the immediate south of the property that aren’t visible in any of the publicity photographs.

As I said, it is completely out of place in its surroundings. I’m sure they have to weed the “desert” every week or so just to maintain appearances. To say nothing of snow shoveling…

1 Like

I wonder who was there first. Lousy stinkin’ neighbors. Next I bet they’ll demand that the crocodiles be removed from the moat, too.

2 Likes