This Odd House

Me too!

2 Likes

Well it was built in 1958, so it’d be grandfathered in under the ADA laws.

2 Likes

Sure. I don’t think private residences have to meet any special ADA standards. But houses that do are really nice. Big wide doorways, roomy hallways. I toured a home once that was modified that way and wanted to buy it but couldn’t afford it :frowning:

I don’t even mind multi-story homes so much, I could theoretically add an elevator. It’s these one- to six-step transitions that drive me nuts. I’d like to break the ankles of the guy who invented the sunken living room!

2 Likes

My grandparents used to live in a tri-level, so one was always going up and down a short flight of stairs from the family room and laundry to the kitchen and living room.

2 Likes

My 81-year-old mother has a house with rooms one or two steps down. I worry about it a lot.

2 Likes

Ah, so basically the one that looks like an average suburban house is an average suburban house, and the one that looks like it was lifted out of Disney’s Main Street is really a huge workshop with an in-law suite attached. I definitely don’t hate it.

2 Likes

Looks like a theme park visitors’ center.

2 Likes

I think if the paint matched, it would look a lot better.

3 Likes

OH MY GOD

Just saw this via Twitter

Click on the pics. Keep going. No, keep going further.

You’ll know when you get there

10309 Twin Leaf Dr, Bristow, VA 20136 | MLS #VAPW2048258 | Zillow?

“a VERY unique and fun hidden feature in the finished basement!” ← :triangular_flag_on_post: :triangular_flag_on_post: :triangular_flag_on_post:

2 Likes

Is that Hellmouth OSHA approved?

6 Likes

“that’s not up to code”

3 Likes

I assume you’re referring to the point where it nosedives straight into “this is a set for a gothic horror movie”?

3 Likes

Isn’t that Vigo from Ghostbusters? So comedy?

2 Likes

Well, we’ve got a painting of Vigo in our house, so I can’t really say anything.

2 Likes

Those ladders are strangely menacing

2 Likes

65% likely to be the only house in the subdivision with a fully consecrated temple of Satan!

4 Likes

Or a cabal of evil Marvel mutants.

2 Likes

OOOO coool! Secret ro – okay, not sure about Vigo …

3 Likes

I don’t think comedy is the aesthetic they’re going for. Remember that Ghostbusters is also horror

1 Like

But it would be hilarious to have the room decorated like that and also have the Ghostbusters theme song playing on a loop.

That’s what I would do if I bought that house.

3 Likes