This Odd House

That’s more like it!

2 Likes

Even the exterior isn’t that haunted. More like it auditioned to be on a U.S. collectable coin but didn’t get the part.

Monticello’s shy cousin, who everyone likes but they can’t quite remember its name…

4 Likes

:scream::scream::scream:

I do…and I did!

3 Likes

why did they put in something that looks like an elevator shaft, but isn’t?

4 Likes

Well, it looks more interesting than the regular ol’ frame and sheetrock you’d normally find in that situation. Not sure it looks better, but it is more interesting.

3 Likes

It does but there’s about a million ways they could have done this that did not make me shout “ELEVATOR!” the moment I saw it

2 Likes

It could have been a forward-looking design decision. “If you’re in this house thirty years from now, you might want a clear shaft in the stairwell to install a small elevator.” It does make the stairwell better lit and airier, you have to admit.

4 Likes

I just assumed it was an open air trapdoor chute.

3 Likes

It’s spacious enough for one, and that looks like enough room at the top for the lifting machinery.
e06c6f8efb4527823b038124ad041515-cc_ft_384
5d62967d30e25870696db2cb0320b4a8-cc_ft_384
5c2b2501f3e7f778fcbb4d34d25dddf3-cc_ft_384

(And that other hole in the top picture also goes down two storeys. They like their shafts.)

6 Likes

Yeah, maybe they planned to put one in and then cheaped out? or it’s for later?

5 Likes

This kitchen looks like a weird optical illusion

3 Likes

I would not have picked that deep blue-gray (unless it was for a pinstriped business suit) but otherwise this isn’t terrible.* Mostly I feel sorry for the poor cleaning person who has to try and keep those clear cabinets spotless all the time.

*Commit fully to the weirdness and have Muppet wallpaper or stills from Julia Child’s The French Chef instead of the business suit gray.

2 Likes

Other than the location and the aggressively purple room, there’s not not much that’s immediately offensive about that place to me.

3 Likes

Looks like it was designed by Sarah Winchester.

The price is pretty damned reasonable, though. (Don’t worry about the curse, voodoo is a lot of hooey.)

1 Like

the kitchen is weird and I hate a stove with no counter next to it, but otherwise, this place looks pretty sweet for $190k.

2 Likes

The weirdest thing I can see from the photo is that the appliances seem to have come adrift from the rest of the kitchen. Unless it’s behind one of those doors, I’m not seeing a fridge, and the oven seems to be making a play for the dining room.

It doesn’t look very ergonomic, is what I’m saying.

3 Likes

They could have made it a little more perfect

2 Likes

I hate that kitchen so much. The first concrete thing that jumped out of that abstract mess was that the sink isn’t centered on a window. Then, about a dozen other problems assaulted my eyes and brain.

They built a hardwood floor above their head. Why?

The stove and microwave are in a different room?

I need to look away.

2 Likes

Not Haunted enough…

But there IS a monster in the fireplace!! :astonished:

3 Likes

Nah, it’s just Uncle Sirius. He’s too cheap to pick up the phone.

5 Likes