This screen resolution and orientation is not supported. If possible, please rotate or widen your browser window (before turning down the lights... where applicable)

Kicking the tires a bit more, well trying to…

Can’t seem to load the theater on my iPhone SE2 in either Safari or Chrome?

Get the “ This screen resolution and orientation is not supported.
If possible, please rotate or widen your browser window
(before turning down the lights… where applicable)” error regardless of browser or orientation?

iPhone SE2 iOS 14.8.1

2 Likes

iPhone 13 Pro Max, here, with iOS 15.4 freshly installed. I see the same error message when Safari’s in portrait mode (not a big surprise, given the website’s content), but the theater loads and plays fine when the phone is rotated to landscape. In fact, once the movie is playing I can rotate back to portrait mode and the movie will continue playing. Fair warning, I have the “Baking Soda” Safari extension installed which rewrites video links into HTML 5 standard ones.

2 Likes

If you turn your phone on the side, it’ll work and you can see the Gizmoplex theater. However, most of the features inside won’t work correctly at this point. You’ll need a laptop or desktop(preferably with Chrome) for the Gizmoplex to be fully functional.

1 Like

No, I’ve tried in both possible horizontal positions in both browsers. Reloaded multiple times. Still getting the error.

3 Likes

Sorry, I got the same message on my iPad, turning it on the side makes the message disappear and the Gizmoplex be visible. But it doesn’t work correctly.

2 Likes

From the email that came with the invite:

For the best possible experience, please make sure that you are using the Google Chrome web browser on a desktop or laptop computer. While some aspects of the Virtual Theater may work in other computer web browsers, as well as browsers on other devices (like phones, tablets, and game consoles), none of these are officially supported yet.

They’re not doing mobile-first, but desktop-first. For now you should try kicking the tires on the right vehicle. Hopefully they’ll get to mobile eventually.

4 Likes

I read it as that it may not work as well as a desktop/laptop… not that it wouldn’t work at all? Shrug.

If I had a laptop/desktop* connected to my tv tonight, no problem. Right now my laptop is processing video files for a client upstairs, so had hoped that I’d be able to kick the tires a bit with the device I AirPlay/Cast to my TV the most with?

*In the process of re-wiring home theater system and waiting on parts … so the Mac Mini that I use for all my iTunes library content and GoPro videos sits silent and dark tonight. Otherwise?

But even then, 98% of the time I’d imagine that I’d prefer to AirPlay to the AppleTV or Roku from my phone, rather than have a keyboard and mouse charged and on the couch, just for MST3K? Can’t imagine that I’m alone re: that preferred configuration?

1 Like

Safari often seems to be a problem child (I guess WebKit does strange things, especially on mobile?)… but I hope not supporting Firefox isn’t going to be a permanent state of affairs.

3 Likes

I definitely read it as a “you could get lucky and some of it works”

I’m a full time Firefox user back to the Phoenix and Firebird days, so I agree, but unfortunately Firefox’s market share is so low these days that the top two priorities will probably be desktop Chrome and then iOS Safari and/or Android Chrome. Alas.

2 Likes

The appletv app will still work for the couch setup. It won’t be the full Gizmoplex experience but it’s easy. I get that it’s not ideal for you but I think that’s the current solution for not pulling out the mouse & keyboard.

1 Like

Ok… I hear you. I do.

Here’s the thing.

The apps … are missing basic features? Like a season/episode list view…

It sounds like the features that are missing from the apps may never get here, never mind anything cool many would like to see added from the Gizmoplex Theater?

Now, the response to anyone pointing out how much they dislike these limitations in the apps so far has been, “Just use the Gizmoplex site once it launches!”

Now, if when the same people point out that the site isn’t working as hoped on the devices/browsers they use, we all shrug and say, “Just use the app”… Well, that’s really not going to fix… anything? It’s just going to start to feel like a very sad version of “Who’s on First?”

Shrug.

2 Likes

Same situation. iPhone 7 Chrome. I’m in Japan as well. Not sure if that makes a difference.

2 Likes

Give us some time. There’s a reason we’re still in soft launch. It’s going to take some time to figure things out, but we’re working on it.

4 Likes

Thanks @ivan

:+1:

1 Like