Time Was Different

The Arch Hall Billion Dollar Thread got me perusing (or at least browsing) old newspapers. 1962 was the era of Toddler Joel and the baby Mads and it’s increasingly odd to view those increasingly older days.

Space Flight was still puzzling to Americans, unlike a thing random billionaires do on a lark:

You could twist the night away, or at least an indeterminate portion of the night:

If you weren’t a stag, you could catch a double-feature of Guns of Navarrone and The Pirate and the Slave Girl double-feature for a buck at the drive-in.
I guess the stags had to go to the Warner Ritz:

Oh, inflation, you dog:

Speaking of unintentional horrors:

I feel like this could have gone into that Invention Exchange machine for making funnies funny:

Meanwhile, what’re we gonna watch tonight? We could go with Perry Como at 9 but we have to switch over to Dick Van Dyke at 9:30.

Darn, no “Rat Patrol”.

11 Likes

That “ADULTS ONLY” label acting like a censor bar for the dude’s junk and the lady’s breasts? That’s good graphic design right there.

8 Likes

Her altogether isn’t altogether hidden. yowza!

5 Likes

8 Likes

10 Likes

It’s Baby, Posh and Scary! And at a Ramada no less … :joy:

4 Likes

Good God, they’re like something out of an SCTV sketch.

4 Likes

Meanwhile, across the pond…

5 Likes

Ahhh, the Hamburg Reeperbahn days. Would have loved to see them then. Probably wouldn’t have survived, but would have been worth it.

I REGRET NOTHING!!! (the band keeps playing while I’m stabbed by a drunk sailor).

4 Likes

We need an ode to the Super-Bad Seventies, too. Gen-X: REPRESENT!!

(Mike Nelson almost, but not quite, falls into that category: 1964 being the last official year of Boomer-ing. I guess we’ll never have a true Gen-X show host. But that’s what happens when your generation is like a Kraft™ single lost between two huge puffy slices of bread. You just have to suck it up and deal.)

1 Like

Oh, fun idea! I’ll try to put one up later.

2 Likes

Either Joel or Mike (forget which) was described at one point as a “shallow post-Boomer.”

2 Likes

Lol. Yep. It was Joel. Because of that riff, I took it for granted for years that he was, chronologically, part of X.

(But I forgive him. :smiley: )

2 Likes

(removing the content since @MichaelRobertson fixed the original images)

2 Likes

Original posts just need a quick title edit and SCHPLURNT! the images are back.

Where did you find those?

I have access to Newspapers.com myself which I use for research; I tend to search through older papers from the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s and 1990s. Is that the site you use?

3 Likes

I don’t know where they got those newspaper clips from, but I’ve heard that the building code is under fire.

3 Likes

:brain: !!

The…Internet?

It was actually really annoying. IIRC, I found a site that had free archives for Southern California (the San Bernardino Sun and one of the Palm Springs area newspapers) when I was responding to What would you do with a billion dollars and a banker’s salary? and I just used that again.

2 Likes

No new petitions for tax, though. Slow news day.

3 Likes

That’s what happens when people wash their building code with gasoline. When will they learn?

3 Likes