To quote Captain America, "Language!"

So I have a question I hope our illustrious mods can answer regarding language used on the forum, specifically, so-called “adult” language. Now please understand first and foremost that I am not advocating that we be allowed to drop f-bombs every other word in our posts… but I am curious whether we will be allowed the occasional colorful expletive to use as emphasis for what we are posting, and if not, is there a list of words that we should avoid the use of?

I ran into one in another post; I was quoting a line from a movie, and ran into the word S-E-X being censored, which set me back quite a bit because I fail to see why THAT word should be questionable on a forum full of (presumed) adults and at least partially mature folk. I had to post it as s*x just to get it past the forum software.

Now again, I am not advocating for us to be allowed to use swears in every other word, but I do think a review of what words the forum software censors may be in order, because the occasional colorful term can sometimes bring the right emphasis to a post if such is needed. At the very least, words that are NOT swear words should not be censored as in my example above!

Thank you for coming to my TED talk. :stuck_out_tongue:

29 Likes

4 Likes

I vote that we adopt The Good Place rules of cursing

16 Likes

Can we ban the word “rhombus”? Sure, we all know what it means, but it isn’t really a useful word, right?

22 Likes

Silence was mentioned.
Happiness is mandatory.
I like eggs.
There’s always a way…

…around any language filter. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

9 Likes

But I thought rhombus is a shape!

3 Likes

Yep, I ran into this problem in the Out of Context Quotes thread.

T.e.e.t.s. is apparently in the filter, so the whole

"We can say ________?

________! ________! _________!

Joke kind of got lost. LOL!

7 Likes

It is. But, “circle”, “triangle”, “square”, and “hexagon” are much more useful words. When is the last time someone mentioned a rhombus outside of an elementary education setting? :upside_down_face:

8 Likes

I’m suddenly reminded of the “Praises of Pants” bloopers.

6 Likes

shrugs

4 Likes

Also reminds me of the paleontology conference that ran into problems with a censorship software.

2 Likes

There’s a rhombus riff at the beginning of … Angels Revenge, maybe? Or is that the Bridget & Mary Jo version?

“Filmed in rhombus vision” I think. It’s in something MST or MST-adjacent.

5 Likes

Wait…

S*x isn’t allowed by the filter but moist is?

For Zark’s sake…

That’s a lot of fraking shiong mao niao right there.

If I get my hands on the smeghead behind this stuco.

SMH

10 Likes

I was in a forum once that turned “Charles Dickens” to “Charles ****ens.”

14 Likes

Shazbot!

5 Likes

Citizen, are you implying that Friend Computer is fallible?

Sounds like you need a good brain scrubbing…

8 Likes

This forum should turn “Charles Dickens” to “Charles Dickweed”. :wink:

18 Likes

booger

17 Likes
9 Likes

Yes, I’ve run into problems quoting movies. Specifically Space Mutiny cuz apparently we can’t say sk-a-nk.

4 Likes