To quote Captain America, "Language!"

I confess, I’m actually kind of enjoying it.

It reminds me of “City Limits” when the girl is bathing in the water tower and Joel opens his umbrella to obscure her naked bew-tocks.

9 Likes

I’m now reminded of the official DC Comics message boards years back, when they installed a new automod that blocked bad words. Suddenly, users could no longer refer to Robin by his first name and also the word pocketwatch was banned because the filter was set up to block banned words even if there were other letters around them.

It’s hard. Automod can save a lot of trouble, but it has no common sense whatsoever.

6 Likes

Maybe whenever you use a no-no word you get a “phrasing” notification from Archer?

store update GIF

11 Likes

If you can suggest another single word that means, "a parallelogram with opposite equal acute angles, opposite equal obtuse angles, and four equal sides,” to replace “rhombus” with, please feel free to share. :sunglasses:

6 Likes

diamond-shaped :wink:

3 Likes

This is "diamond-shaped”, but is neither a trapezoid, kite, parallelogram, square, nor a rhombus. It is, however, a quadrilateral. Try again! :grin:

3 Likes

Now I need to know the special word for a quadrilateral with four sides of different length! We can give it a name here and share the fame. I propose “meepus”.

9 Likes

So you’re proposing we replace the word “quadrilateral” (which is the term for a four-sided polygon with all sides of different lengths) with the word “meepus”? Can we ban the word “meepus” instead? Same effect as banning, say, rhombus, but fewer complaints from geometers, geometricians, mathematicians, and surveyors.

4 Likes

But, the meepus is a special quadrilateral! :stuck_out_tongue:

We should probably take this to a new thread in the off topic board. I just realized that neither of us are on-topic swearing. :grin:

3 Likes

Felgercarb, you’re right! Fecal discharge of a male bovine! :nerd_face:

4 Likes

Y’all are great. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

To get back on topic though, I would like to know if there is a list of censored words somewhere, and if it’s possible to add or remove words. I’m also still confused by the censorship of the word s-e-x; what if I was referring to someone’s gender and not the activity? And why would mention of the activity itself be censored anyway? Are anatomically correct words for male and female genitalia censored as well? I’m just trying to find out what the guidelines for the forum are. I don’t necessarily advocate for outright filthy language to be usable, but it does seem to me that some words may be unnecessarily censored and the list of words should be reviewed if possible to take some words off of it. Just my two cents.

5 Likes

Ah, the “Seven Words You Can’t Say on Television” question. The problem, as ever, is a matter of context, something computer programs tend to have a very poor grasp of, despite decades of research and development. George Carlin put it most succinctly (warning: adult language!):

That being said, the trick is making the list accessible to read, but not so accessible that just anyone can read it (for legal reasons, I’d assume). Y’know, for kids.

I would direct the question to @Lesley, since she is the Community Manager. If she doesn’t know, she should know who knows. And if she doesn’t know, or know who knows, then she should find out because the question isn’t going to go away.

9 Likes

Also remember, if it is ever appropriate (and unambiguously inoffensive) to say ante@ter in a post, you can get around the software by writing:

ante[b][/b]ater

anteater
:face_with_symbols_over_mouth: :flushed:

2 Likes

Well I was amused to note in describing Ed Wood’s movies I couldn’t use the word tur*d but I could use the word poop!

4 Likes

Language filters? If you see Kay, tell her about the problem. She’ll see you next Tuesday.

4 Likes

I’ve been trying to find a default list of watched words for Discourse, to no avail.

2 Likes

angry it crowd GIF

6 Likes

Your finalists so far. Flag away if you must. So far, it’s pretty strict.

damn, hell, @ss, p:ss, t:ts, incorrect/slang spellings of motherf**ker

(I decided to play nice and try to keep it PG-13 max).

4 Likes

We may have to adopt the speech patterns of Roman Moroni from Johnny Dangerously. Would be funnier too.

13 Likes

I’m definitely on #teamfarginicehole.

10 Likes