To quote Captain America, "Language!"

Absolute classic.

6 Likes

My father swore at me unintelligibly once.

Once.

8 Likes

Many moons ago, I worked for one of the big three gaming console outfits.

There was an active blacklist of terms/phrases which applied to everything – user handles, in-game chat sessions, direct messages, and so on. Game publishers could choose to add additional items but the main blacklist had to always be honored.

Along with all of the usual things one would expect in such a list, there were some major trademarks (not surprising) and relatively harmless words that could be taken out-of-context (sucks but okay) and then certain names. Like various spellings of “Briana Banks” (who was, at the time, the most popular adult actress). “Brookers” was another (this one threw me for the longest time; turns out it was a reference to a YouTube channel).

It seemed very hand curated and kinda weird. I assume it was in service to prevent possible litigation down the road. Still, someone could make their user RobinWilliams without actually being the Robin Williams and send chats like “Barney the dinosaur is a fascist” so who knows.

5 Likes

Love the Death to Smoochy reference.

It’s funny to me that we can use the words I posted above unedited (I chose to be nicer than usual and edit most of them), but we can’t use words like s/ex and t/urd.

3 Likes

7 Likes

Semprini?!?!

OUT!!! GET OUT!!!

5 Likes

@Brina, wish I could help, but couldn’t find a list of censored words.

I guess it’s a crapshoot (can I say crap, guess I’ll find out), I think if was ok to be said on MST, it should be okay to say here.

And not being able to say s.e.x is odd. I mean, come on kids go to s.e.x ed classes (or as they call it now, sexual health education). You can say the word out in the world, on network TV, but not on the forum?

(edit, wait, I can say sexual, but not s.e.x.?)

8 Likes

That’s where they learn about boing, right?

6 Likes

:+1: HaHa! Yeah, maybe that’s the word we MSTies should use as a substitute.

Lets see how that works… "While the kids are off to School taking their Boing Education classes and whatnot, the parents stay home and watch Boing in the City, while drinking Boing On The Beach cocktails.

4 Likes

Sayyyyy, we may be onto something here!

S.e.x ,F##k - Boing
T.urd, S##t - Poopie

Hamdinger sounds like a word a grandparent would say to avoid cursing in front of the kids.

Suggestions?

8 Likes

Within earshot of my kids, I sometimes say firetruck if I feel an F-bomb is necessary.

5 Likes

Personally, my go to fake swear word is “Crivens,” from Discworld.

4 Likes

Just checking to see if it’s safe to say Dick van Dyke.

12 Likes

I’m quite fond of saying “sugar” or “sugarbeans” for the s-word on occasion.

4 Likes

“sweet honey iced tea” is a favorite in my house

4 Likes

qkAwwF3

It’s not really common now but “crivens” or “crivvens” is Scots. Anyone who’s ever read an Oor Wullie comic book will be familiar with it.

https://blackandwhitepublishing.com/products/oor-wullie-jings-crivvens-help-ma-boab

2 Likes

@Serein

Sorry, I should have phrased that better. When I said “fake,” I meant “word not seen as a swear by most English speaking people instead of a common English swear.”

You are correct, “crivens” IS a swear, just that most children that speak English that I know don’t know it.

The creatures that use the word “crivens” are the Nac Mac Fleegle, talk like Oor Wullie, and are as Scottish inspired as they come.

4 Likes

Bloody hell.

3 Likes

Hadn’t watched this in ages.

I do prefer the original version, when he gets more into the two-way words? Especially the tasty Nabisco snack ideas…

Hmmmm. I think I’m going to listen to that later tonight now…

3 Likes

3 Likes