Today's Nightmare Fuel

Short Film Running GIF by Film Riot

4 Likes

Not that I have the equipment down there, but wouldn’t it be more of a problem if those teeth were on the outside?

1 Like

At least it’s not one of those HORRID PLASTIC ones! :woman_shrugging: :laughing:

2 Likes

All for $4

2 Likes

The Giant Horse Conch, one of the world’s largest gastropod mollusks, boasts a shell length of over 2 feet (60 cm) in adulthood, providing effective protection against predators.

Carnivorous by nature, they primarily feed on bivalves such as clams and oysters, using their foot and radula to pry them open and acids/enzymes to bore through shells.

With a lifespan exceeding 20 years, these slow-moving creatures maintain a home range of less than half a square mile as adults.

As a top predator, the Giant Horse Conch plays a vital role in regulating bivalve populations and, post-mortem, offers shelter to smaller animals within its large shell.

4 Likes

Really watch out for snakes.

6 Likes

Many folks will try to tell you that garter snakes are harmless. Well, I have just been harmed by looking at that picture.

4 Likes

The pictures are bad enough, but some of the stuff they write about when it comes to eating guinea pigs…

Seeing the little brown heads of the roast guinea pigs is exciting, and we were exercising restraint to walk over, and not to run, to pick out the first one from under a wrap of brown butcher paper.

Finally, getting into the parts slightly farther from the belly, the skin is more chewy, and you have to really pull hard to rip off pieces… it’s fun.

Our friend says that the the neck, the hands, and the innards like heart or kidney, are more tasty than the ‘normal’ parts of cooked cuy, and at home, these are the parts people fight for!

The best estimate I see online says that Peru eats 60-65 million guinea pigs each year, just slightly less than the estimate for guinea pigs people keep in the USA for pets.

After watching her pull our guinea pigs from the oven, this is looking like a wonderful place to be.

The hind legs and back are especially sensational, I am just in awe of the depth of flavor that cuy meat can contain.

If you do have a clear schedule today, and you’re ready to go all out, then three is the correct number of guinea pigs you should be eating.

Edgar assures us that everything is in order, and that this restaurant “serves maybe 1,000 guinea pigs a day, maybe even more.”

Guinea pig is already quite rich, so whoever first thought to deep-fry an entire cuy… I simple have to applaud and congratulate their genius.

Suddenly it is obvious there how there is something missing from the other meals of cuy today – the aji chili dipping sauce!

While I personally will advise you that 3 in one day is probably the correct number, our final consensus is…

You absolutely cannot visit Cusco without having at least one entire Cuy guinea pig, all to yourself.

To be fair, the author includes a lot of really interesting stuff too. I had no idea that corn existed with massive kernels like that. But they are way too into eating guinea pigs.

1 Like

I’m going to say this goes here. My kids and I laughed out loud at this anti-vaping PSA, especially the last line.

4 Likes

I’m not sure if that was the best way to get kids to stop vaping, but it was pretty amusing.

1 Like

Meet the stonefish.

I’mma say a big ol’ NOPE to that, thank you…

2 Likes

Step on one of those, and you will know agony.

1 Like

Any species that eats slugs… Well, let’s just say: as an occasional gardener, I will not judge their other lifestyle choices.

2 Likes

In my area, we have plenty of DeKay’s brownsnakes. They primarily eat slugs and worms. We have nasty leopard slugs, so I’m happy to accommodate the snakes in any way possible. They are quite docile and easy to ignore.

3 Likes

I don’t see snakes around here too often. Once in the front yard and once swimming in the creek we walk the dogs by not too far away. I don’t think either of them were especially dangerous to be around. The guy in the yard was just hanging out by a tree and I didn’t bother him.

I assume they can smell the dogs and never go into the back yard, but we also don’t have a slug issue here, so I guess that’s not something they would prey on.

I never saw a snake in L.A., but I heard one rattle once when my dog sniffed a bush as I was walking her in a park and we got away from there quick.

2 Likes

I like sneky sneks. Not the poisonous ones, obvi, although I still think they’re pretty, but the ones that are relatively safe for humans to handle.

3 Likes

Have a two-fer today!

I don’t think I’ve ever felt LESS like smiling…

Ahhh, nothing like the existential dread of having your headlights be the only lights in a forest for miles…

4 Likes

This is the first recording of a famous British music hall song and the guy’s maniacal laughter scared the crap out of me as a kid. I still find it pretty terrifying.

1 Like

3 Likes

Found on FB:

Blurred for the arachnophobic.

Australia… A man there let a huge huntsman spider live in his house.

Despite their often large and hairy appearance, huntsman spiders are not considered to be dangerous spiders. As with most spiders, they do possess venom, and a bite may cause some ill effects. However, they are quite reluctant to bite, and will usually try to run away rather than be aggressive.

A huntsman spider has a terrifying reputation due to their size and speed. After all, they are very large, very fast ambush hunters.

Huntsmen are quite beneficial spiders in many ways.

They’re very fond of eating other creepy crawlies that we don’t like having around the house, such as cockroaches, mosquitoes and flies, caterpillars, moths and other spiders, the reason the man let it live in his house.

6 Likes