Today's random survey question (beta)

I’ve made a tuna melt recently, but it’s been a while since I had a straight grilled cheese. I like both the Classic American and the Three Cheese variety, though the latter is even better with fig jam on it.

Ok, but what type of fat do you use to toast your bread?

• Butter
  • Margarine
  • Mayo
  • Other (specify)

0 voters

2 Likes

Used to be butter, but I’ve since seen the glory of mayonnaise as a grilling medium.

2 Likes

This question is extremely personal , i choose not to answer thank you.

5 Likes

Dolmio or Ragu ( Bolognese sauce of choice ) add cheese, ham, etc. Bread/baguette around it all. Smash that toast button. Or place lovingly in grill. Boom, pizza sammich.

1 Like

I count a toaster-oven open face sandwich as a grilled cheese, though technically it’s not. :yum:
I make that the most often because it’s easy, and safe to walk away from for a minute when you have to.

We upgraded our stove a few years ago but not our cookware. This means that it takes a powerful attention span and obsessive watching plus turning to get the proper stovetop version to turn molten in the middle without actually scorching the bread. But I can usually accomplish that and then I’m proud of myself for days.

2 Likes

I’m pretty flexible in my definitions.

I never thought open-faced should count as a sandwich, though. But I do usually make a traditional grilled cheese by making two open-faced slices and then putting them together to make a proper sandwich.

I consider a quesadilla a form of grilled cheese, but I often add other ingredients, which fundamentally changes it. Still, I’d consider a croque monsieur or a croque madame to be forms of grilled cheese, too.

But the question I have is this:

These days, when I make a grilled cheese sandwich I usually add a generous amount of garlic powder between the butter and the cheese. Is that…

• Still grilled cheese
  • Garlic cheese bread
  • Both
  • Wait, why didn’t anyone tell me you could do that?

0 voters

3 Likes

Weeks.

However, I like that you included “seconds ago” as an option, in the event that someone ACTUALLY ate a grilled cheese sandwich seconds ago and screamed “HOT DAMN, THIS IS MY TIME TO SHINE!” upon seeing this survey.

7 Likes

This seems like a great time to post the now legendary “Reddit Grilled Cheese Rant”. Some of the language is a little salty (nothing too bad), but blurred just in case.

A grilled cheese consists of only these following items. Cheese. Bread with spread (usually butter). This entire subreddit consist of “melts”. Almost every “grilled cheese” sandwich i see on here has other items added to it. The fact that this subreddit is called “grilledcheese” is nothing short of utter blasphemy. Let me start out by saying I have nothing against melts, I just hate their association with sandwiches that are not grilled cheeses. Adding cheese to your tuna sandwich? It’s called a Tuna melt. Totally different. Want to add bacon and some pretentious bread crumbs with spinach? I don’t know what the hell you’d call that but it’s not a grilled cheese. I would be more than willing to wager I’ve eaten more grilled cheeses in my 21 years than any of you had in your entire lives. I have one almost everyday and sometimes more than just one sandwich. Want to personalize your grilled cheese? Use a mix of different cheeses or use sourdough or french bread. But if you want to add some pulled pork and take a picture of it, make your own subreddit entitled “melts” because that is not a f*ing grilled cheese. I’m not a religious man nor am I anything close to a culinary expert. But as a bland white mid-western male I am honestly the most passionate person when it comes to grilled cheese and mac & cheese. All of you foodies stay the hell away from our grilled cheeses and stop associating your sandwich melts with them. Yet again, it is utter blasphemy and it rocks me to the core of my pale being. Sh, I stopped lurking after 3 years and made this account for the sole purpose of posting this. I’ve seen post after post of peoples “grilled cheeses” all over reddit and it’s been driving me insane. The moment i saw this subreddit this morning I finally snapped. Hell, I may even start my own subreddit just because I know this one exists now.

You god damn heretics. Respect the grilled cheese and stop changing it into whatever you like and love it for it what it is. Or make your damn melt sandwich and call it for what it is. A melt.

2 Likes

I like cooking frozen tortellini and eating it with butter and garlic powder. My wife thinks I’m crazy. She has to have pasta sauce.

2 Likes

Butter and garlic > sauce

5 Likes

I felt like I had discovered the secret of life when I realized the secret to making an excellent grilled cheese - patience.

4 Likes

Grilled cheese can ve as divisive as hot dogs, it seems. Fascinating!

2 Likes

Whatever. I don’t get the living. Or Reddit.

3 Likes

HIPAA, my dude!

2 Likes

That ranter needs to switch to decaf.

2 Likes

Havarti
Iberico
Parmesan
Asiago
Abbaye de Belloc

You are a true connoisseur.

2 Likes

Based on the comic strip by the legendary Windsor McCay, who hand-drew some animated cartoons on the subject as well.

1 Like

Well, that’s certainly your right! I think you’re skating on real thin ice, though, buster!

It occurred to me I can’t remember when I actually made a proper grilled cheese. Months ago, surely.

However, cheese and breads/crackers are absolutely essential to me, sometimes cooked, sometimes not. And granulated garlic, which I think is a damned fine product, infinitely better than garlic powder. No, it’s not fresh garlic, but I’ve given up on cooking, even including slicing and dicing vegetables, pretty much. I think I should be allowed to continue this practice, solo, unaided, unabetted.

1 Like

This is extremely true.

1 Like