♪ TOM SERVO! ♪ "That's me!" A Thread for Appreciating Conor

How appropriate that the character with the spinning hoverskirt has been given plenty of unique spins over the years!

After MST3K saw J. Elvis Weinstein, Kevin Murphy, and Baron Vaughn putting their own distinctive verbal spins on everyone’s favorite gumball machine robot, we now have Conor McGiffin getting inside Tom Servo’s dome.

Accordingly, I thought we could use a dedicated thread to recognize and celebrate Conor’s work in Season 13.

I appreciate Conor’s suave and debonair portrayal of the character, which falls in line with the continuity of the other Servos before him while very much being his own thing.

And as it is with Weinstein’s, Murphy’s, and Vaughn’s Servos, I love those moments when you see the character taken out of his inflated comfort zone, like when Conor’s Servo loses at the Beyond Atlantis game show “Milk & Honey” and gets attacked by crabs for his troubles.

Most importantly, Conor brings so much to those theater segments and leaves nothing on the stage. He brought a well-cultivated vocal delivery to his in-theater performance with so many great riffs, including my favorite Beyond Atlantis riff:

“You can’t live on an island! It’s surrounded by water! How would you even get there?”

It’ll be something awesome to see more of his interpretation of Servo in Season 13. What say you on Conor’s performance?

24 Likes

I remember, a while back, multiple very specific threads meant to discuss every single member of the cast individually were created. They were quickly merged into one thread for a discussing the cast as a whole, by our @Lesley. Is the phenomenon not now reoccurring, but with the new cast?

7 Likes

Gotta say, I loved his incredulous “More stairs?!” riff delivery.

10 Likes

Conor is amazing, they’re doing an incredible job and really do have a smooth jazz DJ voice. If this whole (waves hands) MST3K thing doesn’t work out, there’s always ASMR on TikTok, IJS.

8 Likes

Maybe, what’sit to ya?

2 Likes

Good call!

He’s using vocal inflection to great effect, and it pays off.

Case in point: “Ooh… withdrawing from checking AND savings today…”

9 Likes

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Or a radio show involving ALL the Servos, because that would be so much damn vocal smoothness concentrated in one point of time and space.

6 Likes

Woof, that may be too much buttery smoothness honestly.

5 Likes

… I really just wanted to say “buttery.”

6 Likes

psychbuttery

It IS a fun word.

8 Likes

Connor as Tom Servo has a voice that makes me imagine Servo in a velvet robe, smoking a Cuban and drinking scotch on the rocks while sitting next to the blaze of a fireplace

9 Likes

Oh, you KNOW that Servo’s got a respectable seaside view from a nearby window.

8 Likes

It’s a porthole, but he’s not in a boat, oh no. It’s a log cabin he started building when he was a wee little bot. He built it with his own hands, no tools. Although technically, with him being a robot, his hands are more tools than hands.

So he built it with his own tools, no hands.

8 Likes

With a glass of courvoisier, mayhap?

6 Likes

Indubitably!

4 Likes

Okayokayokay, but back to the subject at hand: Appreciation of THE Conor Servo, with their puppet Tom McGiffin. Absolutely buttery AF.

5 Likes

I CAN believe it’s buttery.

7 Likes

I definitely get a high class vibe out of Connor’s Servo too. I love it!

5 Likes

Also: The way Connor’s Servo says “Legends of the Hidden Temple!” got a huge laugh out of me! :laughing:

4 Likes

It was very much in the style of Olmec’s voice, and there was serious nostalgia in that.

4 Likes