Tommy Kirk

I haven’t seen this on here, but I’m seeing on some news tidbits that Tommy Kirk has passed away.

I’m even more saddened by this than I expected. He will be missed.

/Tommy Kirk Dead

11 Likes

I just read an interview and it looks like he still had a good life after his showbiz career was torpedoed. RIP.

3 Likes

In the 70s they used to air reruns of the original 1950s Mickey Mouse Club, and they had a serial of the first Hardy Boys mystery in which he played Joe Hardy. It inspired my to read (and own) every single book in the classic Hardy Boys run. (There were like 60 of them.) So, he played a big part in my becoming a voracious reader.

10 Likes

I always liked Tommy Kirk. I first saw him in Swiss Family Robinson and I loved that movie. Old Yeller made me cry. It is too bad that he had such a hard period in his life but he recovered from it which is good. Some never do.

5 Likes

I may be in the minority, but I enjoyed the Merlin Jones films he did for Disney. (Admittedly, any film that features Annette Funicello and The flippin’ Beach Boys singing about a monkey is going to be thought of fondly by me.)

10 Likes

Always feels funny “liking” a post like this.

Fare the well, Tommy. We didn’t really think you were such a jerk.

13 Likes

RIP tommy, i hope heaven is filled with little richard serenading you on a ferry

7 Likes

I have affection for Tommy and often enjoyed his movies (silly as so many were.) He’ll be missed.

Heck I was thinking a re-watch of Mars Needs Women may be in the cards to pair with Catalina Caper - heck let’s throw in the Merlin Jones flicks and send him off with a marathon.

1 Like

I used to watch the movies that came on Vault Disney back when the Disney Channel used to be good

MST3K has Village of the Giants available to watch for free on YouTube

Village of the Giants

2 Likes

He’s gone to the little pants store in the sky.

2 Likes

Fun Fact: In that movie, Roberta was portrayed by the same actress as the psychic in The Crawling Eye.

2 Likes

Yes, I recognized her the first time I saw that episode. I actually like her as an actress.

1 Like

Wow, RIP. I never liked his characters in either Catalina Caper or Village of the Giants, but reading up about him earlier this year, he had a fascinating life. Apparently Disney stopped casting him in the late 60’s because it became pretty well-known around Hollywood (though not the larger public) that he was gay. It doesn’t seem like he went through that phase so many child stars go through where he wanted to “prove” he was grown up - he was happy just to keep acting when he could. I think in another world, he could have become a real icon to the modern LGBT community. Maybe he still can. He’ll be missed.

2 Likes

I know this a Tommy Kirk thread, but speaking of mst3k actors in the news, anyone else notice Eddie Deezen was arrested last weekend?

2 Likes

Unlawful use of a Deezen?

3 Likes

Nice seeing him in Mars Needs Women with Yvonne Craig and The Wild Weird World of Dr Goldfoot with Vincent Price. Screw Walt Disney. :wink:

1 Like

Bummer. I heard him interviewed on one of the MSTie sites 3-4 years ago and he seemed all right. :confused:

1 Like

From what I’ve heard, he is really good-natured about the mst3k experience. On the other hand, I heard Joe Don Baker and Peter Graves weren’t at all, and it sounds like Greidanus isn’t too happy either.

So I guess this could make an interesting new thread: which actors and directors were OK with their new source of fame? Which weren’t?

2 Likes

Yeah. Maybe he was just having a really bad day in September.

(I bet if you checked Search you’d find some version of a “Who’s OK With Us?” thread. I’m sure it’s come up.)