Top Ten Worst Directors

I don’t know when you realise he “filmed” that movie in 30-second increments, with no sound, I’m impressed that movie turned out even that good.

7 Likes

When the franchise you are known for has its best installment directed by someone else, you belong on this list.

I’ve yet to enjoy anything directed by Zack Snyder.

I’m sure there are others I can come up with, though a lot of good choices have been posted already.

EDIT: Ted V. Mikels is behind a lot of schlocky crap, but a certain segment of the bad cinema crowd love him. He’s in the same camp as Ray Dennis Steckler.

3 Likes

In fairness, he did win an Oscar for American Graffiti and directed THX-1138. Overrated as a director? Yes. Worse than, say, Charles B. Pierce? I don’t know about that.

3 Likes

That is a decent flick, yes. And you are correct, not as bad as Charles B. Pierce overall, though Charlie did direct The Town That Dreaded Sundown, so some minor props there too (depending on one’s opinion of that film).

4 Likes

I think the The Town That Dreaded Sundown is the best I’ve seen from Mr. Pierce. In my opinion, it succeeds despite him. You can kind of feel Ben Johnson and Andrew Prine fighting for the movie, which had an interesting story to tell. Lesser actors are lost in the Pierceness of it all. I know they made a sequel recently, but I think it’s one of those movies that’s worth a genuine remake.

2 Likes

Let’s just say there’s a reason Jonathan R. Betuel never directed another feature film…

2 Likes

Michael Bay. The best thing he ever directed was the Aaron Burr Got Milk commercial. It was all downhill from there.

2 Likes

I’ve seen him come up a couple times and I gotta say, Roger Corman is not a bad director. He’s done bad movies, definitely, but that dude worked. He always had something good in each picture that required everything else’s budget to suffer. He knew how to make films, but it was never about winning Oscars. I have so much respect for his workmanlike qualities.

5 Likes

American Graffiti is pretty great. THX-1138 is… more ostentatious than anything.

A bad director can end up having a stroke of luck in their career or be a one hit wonder. It’s how Tom Six lands in my list (but, there, I think it’s a safe bet that the vast majority hate his entire output; I think he hit the target once, and only once).

At least Pierce recognized and admitted that he done did goofed. He also directed all movies bearing his name save for one.

Lucas’ career appears to be riding upon the shoulders of others and then depositing a check.

1 Like

I think the correct word for Corman as a director is “serviceable.” He was no auteur, but he wasn’t Ed Wood. He did a decent job for the budget he had and he claims he never lost a dime (although that has been challenged).

5 Likes

I think a person could do a supplemental list of “worst one hitless wonders”.

Hal Warren would be there, John Rad, Vic Savage and Clark L. Paylow (Maybe Richard Ashe? Though I think the band who sang California Lady and Johnny Longbow saved his butt from total ruin)

4 Likes

I submit the following:

1. William “One Shot” Beaudine (guess how he got his nickname)
  2. Ray Dennis Steckler
  3. Ed Wood
    People are gonna come for me with this next one, I guarantee it, but the OP didn’t say that the MOVIES had to be bad… just the directors, so I’ll add:
  4. Stanley Kubrick (his treatment of people on set is why I put him on the list, but yes, the man directed some legendary films)
  5. James Cameron (another notable director who treats/treated his crews like absolute garbage. Plus, he made Avatar and is subjecting us to five more sequels, so…
  6. I’ll also add M. Night Shyamalan, although he’s making a bit of a comeback, but let’s face it; After Earth, the OTHER Avatar, Lady in the Water… his list of bad films is getting bigger.

You also cannot argue with the fact that he sparked the careers of some legendary actors and directors. An abbreviated list:

1. Jack Nicholson
  2. Charles Bronson
  3. Robert DeNiro
  4. Peter Fonda
  5. Our own David Carradine

And on the director side, we have:

1. Francis Ford Coppola
  2. Martin Scorsese
  3. James Cameron
  4. Ron Howard
  5. Peter Bogdanovich

Ron Howard once remarked that it was almost impossible (at the time) to break into the film industry without passing through Roger Corman’s hands in some way.

Corman was past master of getting projects completed on budget and ahead of schedule. At one point he realized he had a full 48 hours of rental time left on a set and asked the guys at American International Pictures (the production company he was affiliated with at the time) if he could have some funds because he wanted to see if he could shoot a film in two days. That film? None other than Little Shop of Horrors (Jack Nicholson plays a masochist who visits the dentist at one point and begs the dentist not to stop drilling without anesthesia). The man has close to 600 directing or producing credits to his name, currently; pretty sure there aren’t any people who can match that these days. And yes, a lot of his films are cheesy; uber cheesy, but his enthusiasm for the craft is on display in everything he does. So I’d never place him on a list like this; the man’s too good at what he does.

4 Likes

He was nominated for an Oscar for directing American Graffiti but he didn’t win; he’s never taken home an Oscar. American Graffiti had 4 noms total but didn’t take any home. His then wife, Marcia Lucas, was nominated for her work on editing AG but won her Oscar for Star Wars.

3 Likes

Viking Women would be in my Top Ten Episodes of all time. I should watch it unriffed to see how that affects my fondness for the movie itself. Honestly, I only started to get really annoyed with it about halfway through: at the point when the women were suddenly also-rans (or -sails) in their own movie. :confused:

3 Likes

Viking Women is a great episode, but not Corman’s best film.

2 Likes

Yeah, but I can’t seriously call it the worst. Not even close. It has a halfway decent story and the actors try (except for Budget Peter Graves, who seems heavily medicated throughout).

The one which makes me want to punch a wall the most is Night Of The Blood Beast.

2 Likes

J.J. Abrahms
Paul Feig
Ruin Johnson

and the first, biggest of them all, Michael Bay.

One of these days I’ll watch that and Teenage Caveman back to back… just like they were filmed…

1 Like

I wish they’d had Susan Cabot in Caveman, too. She always brings a certain liveliness to the proceedings.

1 Like

The poll is up. The Worst Director of All Time With More Than One Film Thank you for the nominations. I based it on a numerical analysis of ranked and unranked lists, solo nominations, and nominees with more than one negative mention. Because of the 20 nominee limit, a few inclusions and exclusions were arbitrary but we all know who these people are. Their work will live for ever.

1 Like