Tor Johnson. Swedish Meatball?

Tor Johnson in Behind Locked Doors (1949).

If there is a single redeeming quality for that movie, it’s that moment.

2 Likes

Tor Johnson is in a TV episode of Rocky Jones, Space Ranger. Hmm… What riffing possibilities.

2 Likes

It’s like you know he’s supposed to be scary, and he has the physicality to pull it off, but somehow you know there’s a sweetness inside that he can’t hide and it sorta makes him adorable to watch.

3 Likes

Tor Johnson is a bad movie legend! From Plan 9, to Bride of the Monster he’s a big part of why these are “classics”. Nevermind that he plays the same character each time! Big, dumb but gentle (to some), barely capable of speaking. Me love Tor! :two_hearts:

2 Likes

So are we seeing the 1st draft of a book with all your Bio posts?

2 Likes

I can’t rule it out. For now, I’m getting into the habit of sustained writing and really enjoying it actually. Motion Pictures and cinema matter to me and expressing that is a joy and sharing that even more so. Marshaling it into small bursts is a step in that direction.

3 Likes

This seems like a good way of doing that. I’ve been trying to get back into writing for months now, so far without much success.

1 Like

I hope it hasn’t been too much. For a large portion of my life, I never had an outlet to express it.

2 Likes

Not for me. These threads have inspired a lot of good conversation. And I was wondering what you’d do when we ran out of classic episodes. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Crossing off the last of the KTMAs in December, it struck me much of the foundation of these B movies may not be as obvious to others as it is to me. The backstory really piles heft and definition to the experiments enriching even the riffing once you know it. The Lugosi Thread was posted not that long ago and cutting into his troubled existence and output offers context to what those Ed Wood movies mean to him and why he did them. That informs those who watch them of the stakes and issues in play no different then looking into a reference you don’t understand. MST3K and my adoration of film taught me to dive into learning more and I guess in one fashion this is me paying it forward. Hopefully my fate is better than Haley Joel Osment’s.

2 Likes

You know I know Tor! [points to the upper left picture above this post]

2 Likes

Tor’s scene in The Man on the Flying Trapeze (at 2:40), a W.C. Fields classic. His trademark gingerly walk is recognizable here and in many of his later movies.

2 Likes

Cool, keep it up!

1 Like