Toys! Toys! Toys!

I still have one! It doesn’t get pulled out much anymore, but I could never bring myself to get rid of it.

2 Likes

Wow. LEGO is so much better at LEGO than anyone else. Especially if that can transform.

3 Likes

SpaceX has been building this mys-ter-ious big white box down in Boca Chica, Texas, and every time I see it in one of the numerous Starbase progress videos I find myself humming the “Mystery Date” theme.

3 Likes

Well, this kinda counts as a toy, right (I knew a friend of mine that had one as a kid, always wanted one, but never got it. So…the power of eBay)?

4 Likes

Any Popple-like stuffies are great.
Found this guy at TRU years ago. There is a Bumblebee as well, but no idea where I put him.

6 Likes

…*Makes a note to get him next so Cool Spot has a buddy.

2 Likes

Oh I don’t know…

3 Likes

Yes he was actually, redundantly called “Bullet Man: The Human Bullet” (it’s called leaning into your brand!). And yes he’s wearing a onesie, and a shiny helmet that looks like, well… a “helmet”, but dammit when I saw this ad on TV at age 7 I knew, KNEW! I had to have him.

And yeah, sure the shiny metallic paint flaked off. And no, he didn’t come with any way to fly like he did in the commercial, and his boots were painted on. But he was mine, dammit, and I was a one happy 7 1/2 year old that Christmas!

5 Likes

Bulletman came from a Golden Age comic. There was also Bulletgirl.

4 Likes

Neca is rereleasing some of the figures

4 Likes

Interesting, don’t think I knew he went back that far. The one I had was from the GI Joe Adventure Team for which, apparently Hasbro “borrowed” the design without agreement from Fawcett…

2 Likes

This thread has me thinking of all the Star Trek toys I had in the 70s, big clunky Mego walkie talkies that sort of looked like communicators, big ugly phaser, all the action figures and the play sets to go with them. Some were still in storage up until about 15 years ago when my dad sold the house and I didn’t have room to save any of them.

Haven’t thought about early walkie talkies in ages, big boxes with big antennas with a signal that could only reach a few houses over. Only a slight improvement over a string with tin cans on each end.

Took a few more pictures of my Grogu toy with the different ears attached:

6 Likes

Had one (or rather my brother did.) It was fun even after it broke. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I had the phaser, communicator and tricorder. I used to play Star Trek with my friend… his sister was Uhura (even though she was white and blonde). He had a long box that a water heater came in, and we turned it into a Jefferies tube.

4 Likes

My next door neighbor and I built part of the bridge out of cardboard in his basement. We did the center navigation console and a few other bits, can’t remember what we used for the captain’s chair. Ah to be 10 again…

4 Likes

My son just did a second-grade report about the praxinoscope and its inventor.

4 Likes

That sounds pretty complex for second grade!

1 Like

It … wasn’t very in-depth. He had to pick a favorite inventor, and he’d gotten a toy praxinoscope recently, so he decided to find out who invented it and then wrote a few sentences about him. (It’s actually rather hard to find much information about Charles-Emile Reynaud, at least in English.)

5 Likes

Well that’s very cool. My father was a film historian, so he taught me pretty early about all kinds of film precursors and he had a few of them too, like the praxinoscope, a zoetrope and some thaumatropes. He always wanted to buy a kinetoscope, but he never found one for sale.

Anyway, I probably knew what a praxinoscope was when I was your son’s age too, but we’re a rare breed.

4 Likes

I’m just warning you all that I may be stealing your organs to earn enough for the upcoming Lego Lion Knights’ Castle.

1 Like