TURKEY DAY TOURNAMENT 2021: Battle 2! Parts: The Clonus Horror vs The Brain That Wouldn't Die

We have our first result: The Magic Voyage of Sinbad beat Lost Continent to advance to the next round! Today’s vote pits Parts: The Clonus Horror against Mike’s very first foray into the jumpsuit, The Brain That Wouldn’t Die. The vote is on!

13 Likes

If Clonus wins does that mean we all get to go to America finally?

21 Likes

You know what’s really cool here? As per @JakeGittesMaster List of Turkey Day Episodes roundup, it looks like both Parts: The Clonus Horror and The Brain That Wouldn’t Die have each been incorporated into only one Turkey Day Marathon, and that was back in the 90s.

Either which way, we have some really nifty variety here!

8 Likes

I went with Brain, for the slimy, sleazy KP*RN music (and Holmes & Reems in the morning).

But of course, Air Supply would be nice, too.

5 Likes

Congrats Sinbad. I had fun doing this last time, so…

The Tale of the Tape

• Previous TD appearances? Both have been featured once, though not in a while - Brain in 1993, Clonus in 1997

• Bring Back MST3K Fan Poll rankings? Brain came in 23rd, Clonus was #41

• Better Movie? It’s a push for me, but IMDB gives Clonus the higher score, 6.6 to Brains 4.5 - While Letterboxd gives Brain higher marks, 2.6 to 2.4

• Brain has a visit from Jan in the Pan and is Mikes first episode - Clonus is Peter Graves final MST appearance and features a visit from Space Children.

And my vote - this is very, very close. Lets see, one of my favorite Alice Cooper songs is titled “Clones”, so… Clonus.

9 Likes

Later on.

5 Likes

This one is pretty close to a coin-flip for me, so I went with the one I’ve seen fewer times. Besides, I’m still basking in the glow of the Sinbad win, so …

5 Likes

The introduction of one Mike Nelson is a big draw for me, but really it’s the host segments that always make me laugh that make me love The Brain That Wouldn’t Die. I’m especially a fan of Mike’s Newton Ball hat. Love a set of Newton balls.

5 Likes

Brain is SUCH a classic. Mary Jo as Jan in the Pan; Mike’s 1st show; a new opening theme. It had the heavy burden to show us MST 3K could survive such a monumental change (and change is how this show has survived over the years!) And it nails it. That’s no shot at Parts, but Brain is a slam dunk.

11 Likes

Need to see Clonus Horror becasue I can’t remember

5 Likes

Close call, but I went with Parts. Maybe my love for “Never Let Me Go” influenced me- it’s like that book, but makes me laugh instead of cry (yes, I am aware of the film “The Island,” but have no strong feelings about it).

2 Likes

It also means we’ll all be featured on Biography.

5 Likes

What’s funny is that Parts ripped off Coma before it in turn got ripped off by The Island. :smiley:

6 Likes

Brain that Wouldn’t Die is better than Clonus because it is Mike’s first outing, the movie is ridiculous, and the riffing is more on point. Clonus isn’t bad, but it’s just not quite in the same strata, IMO.

4 Likes

An episode that you can watch over and over and has a ton of great comments.
Besides how can you not vote for a movie where a head is wrapped in a jacket for transportation. Just think how easy it would make transplant surgery

5 Likes

I chose The Brain That Wouldn’t Die. Mainly because it was Mike’s first outing as host and Parts is an incredibly boring movie, even with the riffs.

1 Like

We’re all MSTies… all are one and one are all.

4 Likes

Parts! Parts! Parts! Parts! Parts!! Parts!! PARTS! PARTS! Parts! Parts! Parts! Parts! Parts! Parts! Parts! Parts! Parts! Parts! Parts! Parts! Parts!!!

(THE HORROR…)

3 Likes

Can I just say that Dr. Smug in Brain looks like The Professor from Gilligan’s Island crossed with Roy Thinnes’s doctor character from General Hospital?

Clonus gets my vote this time because it so encapsulates that period vibe of Logan’s Run and Soylent Green that I love, only without the good acting, directing, and visuals.

5 Likes