TURKEY DAY TOURNAMENT 2021: Battle 2! Parts: The Clonus Horror vs The Brain That Wouldn't Die

Prince of Space and Invasion of the Neptune Men. Everything else is commentary.

3 Likes

It’s Turkey Day, so I gotta vote for the movie that makes it’s own gravy.

Though Clonus Horror did bring beer… :thinking:

10 Likes

Stuffing is perfect when you use neck juice.

3 Likes

I’m going with Brain for a couple of reasons:

A) As others have said, it’s Mike’s first episode, so historical significance and all that jazz

B) They just recently got the streaming rights for it, so it could use a bit more exposure

and

C) Morbid though it may be, that woman’s head is basically trussed up like a turkey and looks like it’s being served to us on a platter. Thus making it a perfect fit for Thanksgiving.

9 Likes

But that’s a whole other tournament thread! :scream_cat:

Neither of these are favorites, but The Brain that Wouldn’t Die is Mike’s first ep and that’s significant.

2 Likes

I feel Clonus is a highly underrated episode. Very 70s and very high-concept sci-fi, and it features MST3K-alum Peter Graves in a villain role. Plus, it was blatantly ripped off by Michael Bay as The Island, which has largely been forgotten, so I’m all for supporting the superior film.

7 Likes

We’ll watch Parts this Thanksgiving, then we’ll save up to for the rights to get The Island into season 14.

4 Likes

I chose Brain because I remember being ready to hate Mike so hard. I’d loved Joel since I saw him on Letterman and SNL when I was eight and nine and ten years old and thought he was magical (Danny O’Danny was the greatest). I sought out MST because he’d created it. Part of me thought the show should be - and maybe even was done. And sure-sure, Mike was in host segments - but he certainly didn’t belong in the theater.

I am a man who can admit when he was wrong - but this is one of the few times in my life I’ve been happy to be so. Morrissey no more; Mike was the host - and this was the episode that did it.

6 Likes

So far Brain is holding to that 52 to 48 edge - I saw it briefly at 51 to 49, but that’s about as close as Clonus got. Tighter than the previous battle at least.

I can’t remember, last year? Did we have any where they swapped leads, back and forth and back again? Any stunning comebacks? Or did the leader establish itself early and never relinquish its hold at the top?

Just wondering if Clonus has a ghost of a chance or, if poll history says, nope, “stick a fork in it, it’s done”.

2 Likes

Definitely feeling Brain. While Parts is certainly a nice complex story with good commentary about the future of health care and the divisions between the have’s and the have-not’s.

Brain has a head on a tray!

2 Likes

I’m sweet on Mary Jo, so I’m obligated to give her my vote… :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

2 Likes

The Brain that Wouldn’t Die kind of freaks me out…that woman is so annoying. So I vote Clonus.

1 Like

Why? Parts is parts.

1 Like

Parts for me. Brain is a fine episode but I’ve seen it a LOT, whereas I’ve only watched Parts a few times.

1 Like

James Arness: Ugly and Stupid. Tonight on A&E Biography.

1 Like

Clonus Horror, for thegoodofthepeople!

6 Likes

I want to go to America, With all my Friends and go into business selling milwaukee I find in the river!!!

2 Likes

I’m team Parts, too. Brain is terrific, but its notoriety is approaching Manos levels, so I think Parts deserves a little time in the limelight. Cool premise, great cast and a lovable earnest ridiculousness.

“Looks like she fell asleep on a Dermabrasion wheel,” that never gets old for me. :laughing: And I can’t look at those camp guards without thinking of Super Dave Osborne in Arrested Development.

4 Likes

Gotta be a Jan in the Pan fan, man.

2 Likes