TURKEY DAY TOURNAMENT 2021: Battle 5! MAGIC VOYAGE OF SINBAD vs EEGAH!

In the last round, PRINCE OF SPACE laid waste to QUEST OF THE DELTA KNIGHTS! Leonardo, we hardly knew ye.

In today’s battle, MAGIC VOYAGE OF SINBAD advances to fight EEGAH! Voting is open now.

8 Likes

Had to go with Sinbad on this one. On Turkey Day, I want to enjoy life, not be paranoid about the possible presence of snakes.

7 Likes

Saturday Night Live Flirting GIF by HULU

1 Like

I love Eegah, but I think Sinbad, or Skinbag or whatever is a funnier episode.

5 Likes

Wanna’ vacation in fabulous Russo-Rabia!

(I’m not really the desert type, thanks.)

2 Likes

This is a tough one. The two episodes are both solid Joel episodes when the show was in its prime … in fact they are adjacent to each other in the season. Sinbad is a lavish production that meanders so much its hard to take seriously. Eegah is just a perfect slice of 60s insanity with so many memorable bits and quotes. Phew - its a tough call.

5 Likes

I’m voting Sinbad. Eegah is a classic episode, yes, but at many points it gives me the creeps. The implied r*pe menace, the dad’s “just go along sweetie!” shudder; the presence of Arch Hall Jr… it’s a hard movie to enjoy.

10 Likes

I voted for Eegah!. The oven in the living room wins me over.

4 Likes

Yeah, I love Eegah!, but I’m not sure I want to watch a movie on Thanksgiving that ended up feeling so dirty and slimy that even the bots felt compelled to wash it off of them.

10 Likes

Oh boy, this is a tough one as both are Top 10 episodes for me.

Sinbad was already featured in a Tale O’ the Tape, but this is the first for Eegah

Sinbad as Sadko is the better movie / and it’s actually been on Turkey Day twice (‘93, 2014) - Eegah! only once (2015)

But Eegah outranked Sinbad in the MST Top 100 (#15 to 70)

They are back to back season 5 experiments (505 & 506… and 507, the ep after them was I Accuse My Parents - man, what a run of MST3K classics)

We’ve only had 1 close race in these polls so far, and I hope this is another, would love to see this go down to the wire.

Flip a coin and it comes up…

4 Likes

I voted Eegah because, while they did riff a Sinbad movie, I’m mad it wasn’t Shazzam.

4 Likes

Sinbad because of the reasons mentioned above . Eegah if it wasn’t Turkey Day

2 Likes

I voted for Eegah!, so it’l probably lose, since I’ve picked every loser so far.

9 Likes

This was an easier pick. I’m a sucker for these Russo-Finnish movies, and Eegah just gives me the heebie-jeebies.

Plus, Tom Servo’s impression of Sinbad stand-up is hysterical.

Women be different from men…:microphone:

2 Likes

I’m just a bit burnt out on Eegah tbh.

1 Like

Depends on how often you watch it. Eegah! (1962) is a MST standard and it delivers whenever I watch it and then some. It stands out among the experiments and has a personality like Manos (1966) which is unmistakable and enduring. It is one of the faces of a Mystery Mt. Rushmore along with the Hands of Fate and Mitchell (1975).

P.S. This is a reply to Iihatt above.

3 Likes

Eegah! (1962) for me. Between the “Musky Leach”, the opening sequence, Richard Kiel, and Arch Hall Jr it has a life of its own and embodies the essence of MST3K at its best.

1 Like

I’m 2 for 2 - lost with Clonus and Daddy-O, won with Sinbad & Prince

Early into the voting and Sinbad has the lead.

36068_124 (2)

Sorry Arch, but there’s still time.

I’ve watched both pretty much equally, so I’m not burnt out on either… though I did watch Sinbad (riffed)/Sadko (unriffed) back to back not long ago (actually did that with all the Ptushko episodes/movies this year).

As for Eegah being skeevy… yeah, and so is the Brain That Wouldn’t Die, and yet we voted that through to the next round. (and if both win and are shown, MSTies everywhere will need several showers before the day is done)

They are equally funny to my mind, so no advantage there.

Ah well, if I wanna I can always add the loser to my personal Turkey Day playlist.

5 Likes

I love Sinbad! The host segments are excellent. The riffing is hilarious. Crow goes on his lifelong quest thingy and gets off course immediately. All in all, I love it!

2 Likes