TURKEY DAY TOURNMENT 2021: Battle 7! THE BRAIN THAT WOULDN'T DIE vs THE TOUCH OF SATAN

In last Friday’s vote, Hercules Against the Moon Men edged out a win over Warrior of the Lost World to secure the second spot in this year’s marathon! I didn’t see that coming, honestly!

Today, we are back to the Mike side of the bracket with THE BRAIN THAT WOULDN’T DIE taking on THE TOUCH OF SATAN. Vote away!

7 Likes

Maybe this will be the season of the underdog films. Go, Satan, go! :metal:

7 Likes

If Satan wins, the Nocino is on me!!

[clink!]

3 Likes

None of the ones I vote for win. I probably should stop voting. Sigh.

8 Likes

Right there with you (well, except for Sinbad). I’ve been thinking of selling my vote to anyone who wants the other movie to win.

5 Likes

That sounds pretty great, I may have to try making it myself.

1 Like

Touch of Satan’s one of my top 20 episodes. I like brain, but love the whole satan experience… grandma dried apple head, walnut farming, knowing where the fish lives, ZA!

Satan is glorious!! (Hmm, lightning just struck my old Catholic self after typing that… strange, I wonder where that came from?)

The tale o’ the tape. Well, I’ve done Brain already, but…

• We have gone AGAINST the Top 100 fan poll 3 times (with it twice). Satan and Brain were ranked side by side. Brain was ahead of the devil 23 to 24

• Brain has been featured on TD once (1993), Satan has never made an appearance.

• Better movie, without a doubt Satan for me personally, but what do others say? Letterboxd gives Satan a 1.8, IMDB a 2.3 - Brain gets a 4.5 at IMDB, and a 2.6 at 'boxd… so Brain wins that.

• While the visit from Jan in the Pan is a delight, even better -IMHO- is Steffi the sitter!

5 Likes

Ugh - two movies that both have an extremely high creep factor. Sigh. This is the opposite of Warrior of the Lost World vs. Hercules Against the Moon Men … we all lose with this choice.

Given the choice between the two, I have to go with the Brain that Wouldn’t Die just because its Mike’s first outing. But IMO both movies are kind of meh and I’d rather we put Warrior of the Lost World in their slot. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Or, maybe…

4 Likes

I’m going to have to be on Team Satan for this one. Great host segments and we get Beez as a temporary Mad.

4 Likes

Try and look at it this way: much quicker, cheaper, and easier to replace a dissatisfying lineup of episodes for yourself than it is actual pols in actual elections. :wink:

4 Likes

IMO, The Touch of Satan is a movie that didn’t even have enough going for it to inspire good riffing, and the episode is a complete snoozefest.

The Brain That Wouldn’t Die is a much, much funnier episode.

3 Likes

As someone on the political left living in Indiana, most people I vote for in those elections don’t win either. :frowning:

5 Likes

@FlyingSquid, @MichaelRobertson, all of my choices but one have won.
Diana Ross Win GIF

4 Likes

Suddenly I feel like CARNATION ICE CREAM!

10 Likes

WALNUT STAMPEDE!

(Discourse told me “body seems unclear, is it a complete sentence?” so here’s some post fodder. I suppose technically “walnut stampede” is just a noun phrase, but come on, Discourse. Where ya get off checking my grammar while employing a comma splice?)

5 Likes

I think the riffing’s fine, but the film subgenre of Old-Women-Are-Evil tends to mire me in a combo of depression and ennui. So I’m usually checked out mentally about 15-20 minutes in.

3 Likes

Touch of Satan rules, it’s like a proto A24 movie. It’s obviously bad, but it’s not THAT bad, and I love some of the concepts.

IMO the women aren’t evil in that movie at all, or at least they weren’t until they were pushed into it by the angry mob. They only resorted to evil as a way to empower themselves in a situation in which they were powerless. Actually kind of clever! (Did Touch of Satan inspire Robert Egger’s “The Witch?”)

7 Likes

Touch of Satan is not an episode I care for. The Brain that Wouldn’t Die is pretty dour but it’s better than the Touch of Satan. And as mentioned, it’s Mike’s first episode.

5 Likes