TURKEY DAY TOURNMENT 2021: Battle 8! PRINCE OF SPACE vs VILLAGE OF THE GIANTS

In our last battle, THE BRAIN THAT WOULDN’T DIE zoomed past THE TOUCH OF SATAN to secure a spot in the Turkey Day Marathon!

Today, the episode we all like very much, PRINCE OF SPACE, takes on Tommy Kirk and Beau Bridges in VILLAGE OF THE GIANTS. Vote like the wind!

7 Likes

Tough one, because I really like them both, but I voted for Village of the Giants because I own the poster.

But everything I vote for loses so I assume it will be Prince of Space.

8 Likes

I think Prince of Space is the favorite but I really love Village of the Giants a lot, it’s SO goofy.

10 Likes

There’s a lot of big eating in Village of the Giants. Seems kind of apropos for Turkey Day, doesn’t it?

But seriously, Village of the Giants seems like a goofier, lighter movie (although Krankor is admittedly a sillier antagonist than Beau Bridges), so I have to give Village the vote here.

Either way, these two films were not previously featured as part of a Turkey Day Marathon, and to have one of them represented will be fantastic!

8 Likes

Right? And they roast a bird!

I rate Prince Of Space higher, but, with the eating angle, and the goofy, fun aspects of Village Of The Giants, I think the latter would a nice fit for Turkey Day.

5 Likes

PRINCE OF MTHFKKN SPACE, y’all!!!

5 Likes

But I liked Willow!

8 Likes

I have little hope that Village of the Giants will win, but if anyone can pull it off it’s Mega-Beau Bridges.

4 Likes

With Kevin Pollak? You liked that?

(I actually like Kevin Pollak, but I love that line.)

4 Likes

Now THIS is a hard one… Fan favorite Vs under viewed gem. Interested to see how this one shakes loose.

6 Likes

Tempted to go with Giants because KITTY! But on the other hand, clearly drugged-to-the-gills Beau Bridges. Yeccchhh!!!

So Prince it must be.

2 Likes

Pht. Is there any question here? Prince of Space >>>> infinity over Village of the Boring.

3 Likes

I voted for Village of the Giants because I think it’s underrated and seen far less than POS.

5 Likes

I just watched VotG very recently, so I went with PoS.

Village is one of those I don’t watch too often, it just doesn’t quite gel for me in the same way that, say, Horror of Party Beach does. I suspect “guy rides woman’s cleavage” was the grimy napkin jotting that launched the whole project.

I love Krankor and The Prince Formerly Known As Of Space, so they get my vote.

7 Likes

Somebody else said it somewhere I can’t find at the moment, but I agree: For as much as Bert I. Gordon got the '50s, he didn’t get the '60s. It just feels icky.

7 Likes

Oh, yeah. I feel like this movie ranks very high in Creep Factor. I get that the actors were not actual teens, but Gordon’s voyeurism is still super-off-putting in context, and so blatant.

2 Likes

Personally, I find the Village of the Giants a funnier experiment than the Prince of Monotony.

But yeah, Prince will run away with this. While I rank the Giants 42nd to Spaces 118… Village didn’t even place in the Top 100 Poll, whereas fan fave Prince was slotted 15th.

Neither have been shown on TD

Village wins as a movie (2.2 at Letterboxd / 3.6 at IMDB) over Prince (1.9 at LB / 2.3 at IMDB). But that matters little.

I’m backing the underdog, but I think in this case, the bigger they are, the harder they will fall.

4 Likes

I think I’m with @The_Riddler here, though it’s a tough choice. Village doesn’t get much attention, so it would be nice to give it some limelight, but it’s also just kinda … meh. Kind of the opposite of the Eegah battle, where that was a better episode but it’s been overexposed.

That said, my feelings here aren’t strong. Whichever episode wins, we all win.

2 Likes