TURKEY DAY TOURNMENT 2021: Battle 8! PRINCE OF SPACE vs VILLAGE OF THE GIANTS

Full disclosure: @FlyingSquid and I seem to have a similar streak of voting for the loser going on, so it’s possible I may have voted the opposite way just so one of us would bask in the thrill of victory.

7 Likes

This is the only arena in the world where things I vote for actually win sometimes.

[nervous throat-clearing] I can say no more without destroying the whole board.

Coffee?

8 Likes

I’ve had some luck picking the correct Donut Of The Day, too.

5 Likes

I had to go with the underdog. Prince of Space is a classic, of course, but I’ve watched Village of the Giants a lot less, so the novelty would be fun (for me, anyhow)!

10 Likes

Yeah, this is super surprising for Prince of Space. I’d have bet a bunch that this one had been on at least one TD. I also have no idea what bookmaker would take that action.

6 Likes

Wow, this one’s pretty lopsided at the moment (only 32% for Village).

2 Likes

Village of the Giants (1965) checks every MST box. Bad movie? Check. Preposterous premise? Check. Fun and terrible? Check. Awful effects? Check. Cast we know from better work? Check. Memorable skits? Check. Directed by MST alumni? Check. Ron Howard enlarges Beau Bridges to terrorize Tommy Kirk? What isn’t Mystery Science in that?

8 Likes

6 Likes

Looks like record will remain intact. At the time I write this, Prince of space has 68% of the vote.

It was a riff made by (I think) Crow in that episode.

3 Likes

I’ve never cared much for Village of the Giants. So I’m going for Prince of Space as it is one of my (many) favorites.

2 Likes

Continuing on Bert I. Gordon not getting the Sixties, I suspect part of it is that he appears to have had a low opinion of Kids These Days. Consider Earth vs the Spider, where the “teens” blunder about instigating all the conflict while the grownups resolve it. Now compare it to something like The Blob, where the “teens” are instrumental in defeating the monster.

3 Likes

Roy’s calling it now…

Prince joins Sinbad, Brain and Herc as the 4 fan choices.

3 Likes

Yeah, you gotta love how it’s rock AND roll that causes the comatose spider to come back to life.

6 Likes

I went with POS, which has the most appropriate initials for a bad movie.

I find Tommy Kirk off-putting, like something that’s simultaneously moist and gritty. shudder

4 Likes

If only the band had been rehearsing “Theme From A Summer Place.”

2 Likes

Gotta be Prince of Space. Village is borderline unwatchable even with the riffs.

1 Like

Or maybe a Lawrence Welk tune.

3 Likes

Village of the Giants is a hilarious episode. So is Prince of Space.

2 Likes

Unfortunately they were rehearsing “You Are Not a Summer Love”

2 Likes

I voted for Prince Giants Of The Space Village.

3 Likes