Turkey Day Traditions?

Mashed potatoes or stuffing? The eternal question laid before mankind… Men have always sought an end to the toil and misery of having to choose, but it can’t be given, it has to be achieved. There is hope, but it has to come from inside — from man himself."

• Mashed Potatoes
  • Stuffing
  • Both
  • Neither

0 voters

4 Likes

Uh… yes. :yum:

2 Likes

I’m not overly fond of cooking but I really throw myself into the holiday meals. My family knows that if they come into the kitchen they will be watching/listening to the Turkey Day marathon and they will be put to work. When I still lived in Canada I’d make my own playlist since Thanksgiving is the second Monday in October.

3 Likes

You put an or in there, I don’t understand this.

2 Likes

So I can do practice Thanksgiving today, having some Canadian blood?

3 Likes

Absolutely! I used to do both. :grin:

3 Likes

I don’t celebrate with my family, they are awful and not worth my time. But, my tradition is to make a nice meal for myself, turn on the Turkey Day Marathon, and do some work. When I say “do some work,” I mean write or draw all day, so it’s a good day overall.

5 Likes

Well, prior to last year, unless I was working, my brother and I would drive out to my dad’s house in the 'burbs (the men in my family are the cooks). Last year, my roommate and I decided to host our own for the first time. I cooked most of the food, she mostly just handled the guest list, thankfully, some of the other guests brought food too. As she’s out of town this year, and my brother has moved, I’ll probably just do a smaller (but still elaborate) meal for myself and anyone else who stops by while I have MST3K on the TV.

2 Likes

I don’t have any traditions that are exclusive to Turkey Day, but I do love enjoying Cheez-Its with MST3K.

1 Like

Until some point in my teens, my paternal grandparents (who lived in the same metro area as we did) hosted Thanksgiving, then my parents took over. Starting in 2009, I went to DC to my then-boyfriend, now-husband’s uncle’s friend’s house for Turducken (though that year, I was still a vegetarian, so I didn’t eat said turducken). We alternated between staying in St. Louis to go to my parents’ and flying to DC for Turducken. The last year we were at my parents’ for Thanksgiving was 2016. Then my dad died in January 2017, and we’ve been going to Turducken ever since (though, since we moved to the DC area in 2018, it’s now local). I catch Turkey Day when I can. Last year, I caught the tail end of it, and that’ll probably be the case this year, too.

1 Like